Moisture Conspiracy?

Hello girls,

Is it really this hard to find a good conditioner and deep moisturizer without Silicone, Parabens, and alcohol that provide good slip without breaking the bank? I've been searching for weeks..

I am 3B, low po, and protein sensitive. Shea Moisture products do not work for me and if my hair even gets close to coconut oil it's almost as if I can hear it screaming. All I want is a good conditioner and DC. Have had zero luck in finding anything that doesn't give off the cancerous vibe as I am getting older and need to worry about these things. Having good slip without cones and safe to use without turning my hair hard and brittle is all I'm after, why does it seem so difficult? :cry:

Any suggestions? I've spent hundreds of dollars in the past few months and I am using currently Pantene (ug). Help me.
3B but as I age 3A.
Low/Med density, High Porosity
Protein Sensitive, Shoulder length.

Prewash: Jojoba Oil
Poo: Free n Clear 100% Protein Free
RO: Free n Clear 100% Protein Free
Cowash: SM 10 n 1 (hair hates it)
Leave In: L'Oreal Paris Hair Expertise Evercreme Nourishing Leave In (the devil)
Deep condition: Just Started GVP
Protein: 15 Products to choose if I ever need it.
Styler: Cantu Curl Activator Cream, SM Pearl Rose Gel, or Aussie Volume (discontinued/changed)

Comments

• guthak01guthak01 Registered Users Posts: 195 Curl Novice
    Not sure about all the ingredients but Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm is great. It is silicone free and CG approved. There is also a generic version at Sally Beauty. I am 3a/b and low porosity, and this conditioner is about all I use.
    3a/3b, Low porosity, Medium Density
    Low-poo: Devacurl Low Poo
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Cantu Curl Activating Cream, LALSG, Pantene Curl Gel
  • HalloweneHallowene Registered Users Posts: 9
    Thank you! I have been eyeing that, wasn't sure if it had any slip. Getting this today, I am in utter thirsty curl crisis. Pool + Hard Water + Sulfates = nightmare. (Yes I am planning to clarify but not until I find a worthy moisture).
    3B but as I age 3A.

Leave In: L'Oreal Paris Hair Expertise Evercreme Nourishing Leave In (the devil)
    Styler: Cantu Curl Activator Cream, SM Pearl Rose Gel, or Aussie Volume (discontinued/changed)
    Any tips on a DC that's all moisture, no protein or cones? I'll even deal with the parabens for one. (Apologies if this is in the wrong section).
    3B but as I age 3A.

• RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    I also use the Conditioning Balm, the Sally's knockoff, in fact. So far it's the most moisturizing conditioner I've been able to find. For a DC I add a teaspoon or so of olive oil.

I can't get near coconut, either. It's maddening how many products contain it!
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    I also use the GVP conditioning balm. I've been using it lately as a leave in and today I sealed with s little olive oil. My hair is very soft and almost silky today. Seems this combination is good because my hair was so dry I was having breakage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, what a great tip I thought olive oil would be too heavy to penetrate so just tried it with a bit of heat and already my hair is feeling a tiny bit better. And I agree. Once I realized among other things that I had protein overload I was shocked at myself that every product I had on hand was loaded with it and coconut. I know coconut is not a protein but man oh man, my hair really hates that stuff. I admit I am a bit in panic mode trying to find anything to just moisturize without making it so brittle over time!

Seriously thanks, you guys may have just saved my hair as it was breaking off in clumps.
    3B but as I age 3A.

I'm sorry ladies but I just cannot put this in my hair. Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Isopropyl Alcohol? This isn't a conditioner, it feels more like a marketing gimmick. It's going to dry your hair out so bad over time that you'll just keep buying more products. These are some of the chemicals I am trying to get away from. I am saddened hehe. Moisture conspiracy continues..
    3B but as I age 3A.

• ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    Wut. Surely that's not GVP CB you're talking about.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Andrea.WilsoAndrea.Wilso Registered Users Posts: 31
    Briogeo's Avocado and Quinoa cowash and the Don't Despair, Repair! deep conditioner both have good slip and don't have any -cones/etc.
    2c/3a - M - iii - mid-back length - med. porosity - protein sensitive
    Bleached and colored ~2x a year, every year

Routine every 3 days:
    No-Poo for 10 years and counting!: Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado and Quinoa Cowash
    Deep Conditioner: Brieogeo Don't Despair, Repair!
    Styling: 1st - AG Re:Coil, 2nd - Moxie Bling Pomade, 3rd - DevaCurl Ultra Hold Gel
    Air-dry only, pineapple overnight
    Hallowene wrote: »
    I'm sorry ladies but I just cannot put this in my hair. Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Isopropyl Alcohol? This isn't a conditioner, it feels more like a marketing gimmick. It's going to dry your hair out so bad over time that you'll just keep buying more products. These are some of the chemicals I am trying to get away from. I am saddened hehe. Moisture conspiracy continues..

Those do not show up in the list on the bottle in my hand (GVP CB):

"Aqua/Water, Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Centrimonuim Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Rosmarinus Officinalis/Rosemary Leaf Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis/Golden Seal Extract, Fucus Vesiculosis/ Bladderwack Extract, Methyl-2 Octynoate"

I'm not excited about the centrimonium chloride with my hard water, or the paraben in general, but overall it seems to be rather healthy. :dontknow:
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Registered Users Posts: 46 Curl Neophyte
    Just my 2Cents, I use Socozy Boing Curl Conditioner. Its actually marketed towards kids, but it's the only conditioner that I've found that Conditions. I've found that some out there coat my hair and weigh it down (Shea Moisture), some strip it (V05), others aren't moisturizing enough (Alba), some smell to high heaven (Carol's Daughter Hair Milk), or I'm allergic to the fragrance (Herbal Essence).

Surprisingly, to me anyway, I've found Aloe Gel to be very helpful! I mix regular ol' Aloe Gel (from the bottle), water, a few drops of Tea Tree Oil and Jojoba oil to a spray bottle and spray it on my hair before bed. I'm so amazed how moisturizing it is and how it doesn't build up on my hair or make it feel crunchy. Someone on here had mentioned Aloe and I didn't think it would help because I didn't have the same hair type, but I got a trial size bottle of Aloe gel for like $1 and figured it was a cheap try. I love it.

Good Luck! Its a lot of trial and error and an on-going battle!
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
    First off thanks everyone for their input, really appreciate it as this has plagued me literally for years and years. I know a lot, and yet know so little and sadly ttoosday I am not exactly sure what GVP CB is. My last comments were about Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm and the ingredients listed here at:

Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrasource Conditioner | Ulta Beauty

I have found errors in the ingredient list on some other websites compared to Ulta (Is Ulta lying to sell product?) But with that said, I assume you mean the Sally knock off? Forgive me for my ignorance.

Now this is the reason I am confused, once you mentioned Matrix I was so happy there were no cones or parabens that I went and looked at all their products to try to find a leave in as well. I came across this:

Matrix Biolage Styling Smoothing Shine Milk | Ulta Beauty

and here is that same product ingredient list at Walgreens:

Biolage by Matrix Smoothing Shine Milk | Walgreens!

The ingredients at Ulta look great! No cones, no nasty alcohols, not even parabens. I was in heaven until I looked at the product at Walgreens. Apparently it is loaded with cones? So now I am really confused as to what to believe. I sincerely appreciate RafterBat listing what was on their bottle. (Is that the Sally version?)

Sorry for the long post, I am still processing JDGame Accou and Andrea's comments so I will return hehe! Additionally, and just curious but how may I add my hair routine below my posts? I tried editing my profile but did not find an option to do that.
    3B but as I age 3A.

• ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    Hallowene - the GVP CB is Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm from Sally's that is a knock off of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm. It was referred to several times earlier in the thread so I thought that may have been what you bought. Im not sure if the Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm is what the GVP is knocking off or not, the word Hydrasource is not referred to on the GVP bottle, so maybe the Hydrasource product is an entirely different product. The GVP bottle shows the ingredients for both itself and the product it is intended to replicate and they are identical ingredient lists. Sally's Beauty is the only place you will find it other than ebay or some online sources maybe. And yes, I am confident that is what Rafterbat listed, but Rafterbat, please correct me if wrong.

GVP Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm compare to Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm

As far as errors in ingredient lists, well I wouldnt say one store is 'lying,' it is possible there was a reformulation and the websites havent updated their product listings yet. Or ever.

If they ever reformulate GVP CB, I would DIE.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
    Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah looks like the conditioning balm has been reformulated and the Sally version looks to be duping the original (a good thing). As for the styling milk, I have been unable to find any confirmation it has ever changed so the wrong ingredient listing on Ulta could simply be an error..
    3B but as I age 3A.

@Andrea Wow, you may have found one and for a decent price in Don't Despair, Repair. Has coconut in it but it may be worth a try. As for the Briogeo's Avocado and Quinoa cowash at $32, ouch.

@JD GameAccou SoCozy Boing has quite a bit of proteins in it but since they are hydrolyzed and I am not seeing shea butter or coconut in it, I am giving this a try. Thank you so much for listing it.

I have tried aloe gel but by itself a long time ago, armed with what I know these days I may just try that and add a few things. But I've heard aloe is an astringent and again, would dry out hair over time. I could be wrong and welcome any information disputing that. Yes, it is a battle, so much so as one would think these hair formulators and chemists would know what our hair needs to just be healthy. I guess I am too trusting. To not find anything, or so few to try, it is very discouraging.

I know there are a lot of different hair types and textures but the basics are no drying alcohols and cancer free. When the hair is moisturized they add alcohol because it gives it a bouncy feeling (as if we cannot control our own moisture). I wish they would just stop alcohols and there are so many natural preservatives that are affordable that using cancerous chemicals is just the icing on the rotten cake.

A conditioner that does not damage the hair, contain too many proteins, cones, or cause cancer is like finding a Unicorn. Or in this case, $32. hehe And if by miracle you do it is probably loaded with sodium/salt.
    3B but as I age 3A.

ttoosday wrote: »
    Hallowene - the GVP CB is Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm from Sally's that is a knock off of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm... Sally's Beauty is the only place you will find it other than ebay or some online sources maybe. And yes, I am confident that is what Rafterbat listed, but Rafterbat, please correct me if wrong.

GVP Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm compare to Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm

Yes, I meant the GVP version of the Biolage Conditioning Balm - but not Hydrasource. :)
    If they ever reformulate GVP CB, I would DIE.

Me too!
    Ok girls, just a quick update. I tried some of the products listed in your signatures like, Kinky Curly Knot Today, Sally's GVP CB, etc and Wow you were not kidding.

GVP is simply an amazing amount of slip for no silcones, just amazing!
    My hair finally feels moisturized albeit flat. But that maybe due to overusing KCKT. My fall out thin curly 3A/3B hair dries super quick and gets very tangled.

I still plan to try Boing but honestly, this GVP stuff is just heavenly.
    Now if I can find something healthy to inject some volume without sodium or alcohols, I'll be set. Thinking Aloe Vera? Any suggestions?
    And thanks everyone for their advice.
    3B but as I age 3A.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file