Leave in?

kleinehexekleinehexe Posts: 80Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have lo-po, low density, fine-med, and mix of 2a, 2b, and 2c hair.

Do people with low por need to use leave-in conditioner? What about a moisturizer?

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hi, :) .

my hair is very low porosity. so far i have found if a leave in has lots of butters or oils, than it does not work well for me
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    According to the Science-y Hair Blog, if you have low-po hair, then leave-in acts more as a styler because the moisturizers don't penetrate the hair very well. Leave-in is used to give a little slip in detangling. I also find that it acts as a sealant for me.

I generally do better with leave-in than without leave-in. If I don't use any leave-in, I feel like my hair reacts more to my environment (humidity, etc.). But I have to use just a little. I use maybe a dime-sized amount for my whole head. I have hair that is about collarbone length.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I generally do better with leave-in than without leave-in. If I don't use any leave-in, I feel like my hair reacts more to my environment (humidity, etc.). But I have to use just a little. I use maybe a dime-sized amount for my whole head. I have hair that is about collarbone length.

What you said. :)

I absolutely must use a leave-in, or my hair turns into a huge, formless shrub that feels like twigs as well. Right now I use about a dime or nickel of GVP CB for my just-to-the-base-of-my-neck bob.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • kleinehexekleinehexe Posts: 80Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, now to find a leave-in that doesn't feel like it weighs down my hair.

So if it's more like a styler then is a curl cream considered a leave-in? or would you apply leave-in and then curl cream? Seems like that would be heavy. Perhaps a leave in used with gel and a curl cream could be used alone.

Anyone use curl creams? Do you use them alone or with an additional leave-in? What do you put in top of your leave in?

I know, so many questions. I'm just tired of my hair looking stringy and limp. I'm also trying to figure out the whole protein/moisture thing. I think I need protein.. Did the strand test. How far should one pull the hair? It stretched quite a bit and then finally snapped. If I released it before it snapped it went back to original size.
    Out of curiosity I used Garnier Pure and Clean conditioner today after spraying my hair with some water to refresh. I used a little and smoothed it over my hair to calm down the massive frizz (hello 85 dew points) and to hold some moisture in. So far it's working great. It hasn't weighed my hair down and my frizz is much better.

I've been wanting to try a leave-in without coconut oil and/or shea just to see how my hair does. The leave-in I have right now (SM c/h style milk) seems to weigh my hair down. I'm going to set it aside until winter. In the mean time I pulled out the Pure and Clean from my kids' shower and tried it. Not bad at all considering today is 4th day hair.
    As far as whether leave-in could be a curl cream, I suppose it would depend on the cream. If the cream is more moisturizing, then you probably could get away with treating it as a leave-in. But if it is more for hold, I would put the curl cream on top of the leave-in. Or you could try mixing them together.

I find that my hair gets stringy if I use too much product. I also find that it helps to apply product to hair that is quite wet (not sopping wet but definitely not damp).

I currently use a bit of leave-in (As I Am), a bit of serum (Intelligent Nutrients Straight Hair Serum--doesn't straighten my hair but acts as a moisturizer and antifrizz product), a couple of pumps of mousse (Intelligent Nutrients Volumizing Foam), and then a small amount of gel (either Max Green Alchemy Sculpting or Intelligent Nutrients Styling Gel). This sounds like a lot, but I use only about a dime-sized amount of the first two products, and I use probably only a quarter-sized dollop of gel. The gel is also very lightweight, which helps my hair not get too limp.

It sounds like your strand test is OK. When my hair is overmoisturized, it has a very definite stretchy feel that I can notice even before I do the strand test: when I am scrunching the conditioner into my hair, I can feel it stretching. So that's when I know I've overdone it. I have found that protein actually does this to my hair. (Proteins can also act as moisturizers.)

I've recently been using some of the Straight Hair Serum as a refresher, kind of like you did with the Garnier. It just helps to smooth everything down and keep the moisture in. Low-porosity hair does not lose moisture very rapidly, but it will still lose moisture over time, so you do need to take steps to keep it hydrated.

I've been quite happy with the As I Am leave-in if you want to give it a try. It is quite light and not very oily. I don't think it costs too much. I can't use the SM style milks except in very dry weather. Otherwise they weigh my hair down too.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Thanks for all your help. I happened to have a coupon for Sally's so I took your suggestion and bought the As I Am leave-in. It was buy 2 get 1 free so I also purchased the co-wash.

I'm going to set the SM milk aside and try it in winter.
    I hope the As I Am works for you. At least you can return it if you don't like it--I think Sally's has a very generous return policy.

Definitely try the SM milk in winter. I can't believe how different my products have to be in winter.
  • SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
    kleinehexe wrote: »
    I have lo-po, low density, fine-med, and mix of 2a, 2b, and 2c hair.

Do people with low por need to use leave-in conditioner? What about a moisturizer?

When I first started a few weeks ago, I used my supercream on damp hair and it was too heavy, so I tried it again after I rinsed out my conditioner and mixed in a bit of warm water and then squished it in. Really helped with definition and didn't weight it down. I think for us, water mixing is the key to any leave in. Now i leave about half of my One Condition in my hair from squishing then I mix my supercream and gel together and smooth it down ward then scrunch (hair still quite wet to where you can squeeze water out but not soaking and dripping all over). then I scrunch out the excess with a microfiber towel and it takes whatever my hair won't use out. I find that the water is the best tool for getting the products in. If i don't leave in conditioner then I get frizz. Seems to be a delicate balancing act or how much your hair wants to take in vs what is just going to coat it. using warm water to keep the cuticle open helps me then shock it with a final bit of cold water if you want. I've tried putting products on damp hair but it always turns out limp.. Hope something in here was helpful :-) Good luck.

Type: 3a | NP | med-fine but high den | bob
    NP: Deva NP, DC low poo, ACV rinses
    RO: Deva 1 Cond orig or decadence
    DC: DC HIC, SM JBCO mask
    LI: 1 Cond, B'leavin
    Styler: Deva SPC or reg SC
    Gels: DC LDG, Bouncecurl
    Refresh: water w Lavender oil.
    Scalp: Lav/jojoba/rosem/pep oils.
    Airdry, wait 30 mins before diffusing.
    Loves a little protein in stylers! Hates heavy stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file