Question for stylists: What type of pixie do I need, and how should I describe it?

StepheeStephee Registered Users Posts: 8
My hair is 2B and very thick, dense, wiry, and frizzy. I've had every hair length from extremely short to extremely long. I literally got a standard 10 buck "boy's cut" in middle school and more recently I've had almost butt length hair. I am NOT afraid of short hair, and I'm not one of those people who thinks a mid length bob is "short". Right now my hair is just past chin length, but it's the most boring haircut I've ever had. I need advice on how to find a pixie or pixie/bob combo that will minimize volume as much as possible and be relatively low maintenance. Preferably with short sideswept bangs that are short enough to stay out of my eyes all day long without being forced to the side constantly. I've tried to have this conversation with stylists before, but they always tense up when they here the word "pixie", and start insisting that I "really" want a mid length bob instead. Even if I end up getting a pixie, I have to go in blind without any advice from the stylist because there so terrified of being accused of talking me into a short haircut that I didn't really want.

Tldr: How should I ask for a low volume, low maintenance pixie cut good for very thick, dense, frizzy 2B hair? Any pics, advice, or useful hairstyling vocabulary would be very appreciated.

Comments

• StepheeStephee Registered Users Posts: 8
    I'm looking, for a smooth looking, feminine pixie with short bangs and longer side pieces like this one: (can't post links yet)
    How should I have the back cut to blend well with front, and also be very low volume, and hopefully low maintenance as well. I'm willing to go extremely short if need be. I can't emphasize enough that minimizing volume and maintenance time are my primary concerns.
    Anyone know hom many posts I need to make in order to link an image?
    Is there a way to post a piece of the link so the site won't flag it. It's just a haircut pic I swear :cry:
    postimg.org/image/51nvrz8m9/ Here's my attempt to buck the system with a partial link. Found another image that shows the sides and back: postimg.org/image/udoadfnp3/ How low maintenance do you think this would be. My hair has very little curl but lots of frizz.
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Connoisseur
    Stephee, can you PM me the image you want to post and I can post it for you? I can't figure out how to look up your image from that link.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    Really? Pasting it into my browser filled it out automatically. PMing now. Thanks!
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Connoisseur
    Here are the links Stephee wanted you all to look at:

https://s32.postimg.org/51nvrz8m9/image.png

https://s31.postimg.org/udoadfnp3/image.png

I think the best thing you can do is set up a consultation with a stylist. Don't plan to have anything done that day but to talk about what you'd like. Bring lots of photos of styles you'd like and get your stylists opinion of which ones will work with your hair texture and face shape. If your stylist has time to really see what you're looking for and you have time to explain that you've had pixies in the past you'll probably get a better reception and have a better outcome.

Good luck!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    I would still like a little advice on what type of pixie is really going to be quicker to style than flat ironing the short bob that I have now. When I say low-maintenance, I'm only talking about the amount of time I spend styling it in the morning. I don't mind getting it cut every couple weeks. Do I need to make any changes to the cut shown above, so I can be fairly sure it'll be faster than my usual routine of blowdrying and flat ironing my bob. I will probaby encourage a loose wave when it's shorter. I don't do that regularly when my hair is past jaw length because the results aren't quite neat enough for my particular job IMO, unless I put so much effort into it that it takes just as much time as flat ironing.
    BTW eche428, thanks for the advice. I really do need to try harder to communicate with my stylist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file