Help starting routine?

RosePageRosePage Registered Users Posts: 1
I feel completely lost on how to start a routine. I tried using SM Curl and Shine before but it made my hair feel like straw when wet and it became a tangled knotted mess even though my curls had much better definition. I'm not sure what I should try next or even really what to do for a routine..

Can anyone share their routine and how often you do each step? And maybe recommend some products?

I have a mix of 2b/2c with some 3a curls underneath
Normal porosity, high density, medium strand width

Comments

• RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Have you lurked around the site much yet? I went around in the different forums and read threads through to get ideas. Once I had something a little more specific in mind, I'd search Naturally Curly for more information on those things. Then it was pure trial and error!

Unfortunately, my hair doesn't like any of the SM lines. It was very frustrating to read about different products that other people found to be HGs and yet they'd be terrible for my hair. You'll likely encounter some of that, too, but keep at it. :)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    My shampoo/rinse-out conditioner is a 2 in 1 product called Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair. It's pricey but works incredibly well; it's the only product I consider my holy grail. I wash every 2nd or 3rd day with it, be sure to follow the directions as it must be left in for the full 5 minutes before rinsing. I then follow up with Alaffia Beautiful Curls Leave-In conditioner and I use it sparingly and keep it away from my roots, because it's a heavy product, but really helps me eliminate frizz. I then finish with Devacurl Styling Cream. I apply ALL of my products in the shower, and plop my hair while in the shower too. I wash my hair first and apply my products, plop my hair, and finish showering (body wash, shaving, etc etc). Then by the time I am dried off and dressed, I take my hair out of the plop (I use an old t-shirt) and let it air dry. I have dense hair, so it takes a good 4-5 hours to completely air dry... But I get less frizz with air drying than I do with diffusing.

A really good clarifying shampoo that is still CG friendly (SLS/paraben/silicone free) is Desert Essence Lemon and Tea Tree Shampoo. I use that every 10-14 days. I sometimes use an SLS shampoo if I have a lot of buildup, but I rarely need it.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file