Frizz Halo.....HELP

CurliejessCurliejess Posts: 13Registered Users
I have a mixture of 3a and 3b curls. Front parts of my curls surrounding my face are more on the ringlets and intertwine with one another. Around my head are a mixture of ringlets and S pattern curls.

I co-wash with Suave Natural Coconut conditoner and will sometimes mix in a higher priced Shea Moisture conditioner to save on my more pricer product. I make sure to stay away from sulfates. I do use gels to make a cast and then scrunch the cast off. I've used several curl creams and leave-ins aimed to reduce frizz. Air dying leaves my hair flat and still with a halo of loose frizz. When I diffuse I have more body (which I love) but the frizz halo is always there. It's like I will have beautiful defined curls and then random dry individual hairs that never wanted to clump with the rest of the hair.

I've tried oils and they make my hair very stringy and awkward looking. I also do cold rinses leaving some conditoner in and other times rinsing it all out. Kinda at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hey, :) welcome :) .

do you have an idea of drying time without product? that will tell you porosity . also, if post products using ingredients, we can help better
  • CurliejessCurliejess Posts: 13Registered Users
    Thanks for the welcome 😄

I've never tried without product. I will try that soon. Washed my hair last night and used Suave Naturals Coconut and Shea moisture Intense hydration conditionet mix as my Co wash.

For styling products I used Shea Moisture Curling Soflee while hair was dripping wet. Then I used Eco Stryler Crystal Gel over and squished all in. Plopped and diffused a little in the morning. Still have the same issue now.
    Are those a bad combo of products you think?

Sent from my SM-N900T using CurlTalk App
    😄

• SopottSopott Posts: 42Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have lots of baby hair, that shows like a frizz halo. My hairdresser taught me to distribute gel from the roots down! I never thought of that before, I always used to just smooth it on and scrunch it in... Now I section my hair soaking wet and apply leave in and gel all the way from the roots down. Hope that helps
    2C/3A
    shampoo: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    conditioner: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals
    leave-in: Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    sealing oil: olive, coconut, avocado
    gel: Deva

alternating weeks
    protein: Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
    moisture: Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    I would have never thought to do that! I'm gonna try that tomorrow! Thank you so much for responding. Dealing with the frizz Halo today 😂

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm wondering if you have buildup of some kind. I have to sulfate wash occasionally despite not using anything known to buildup. Water soluble cones and polyquats can buildup, especially on damaged hair, and it does present as uncontrollable frizz, lumpiness, loss of curl, etc. you might want to try clarifying.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    I try and clarity at least once a month, I will use a African Black soap to do that or a CHEAP shampoo like V05. Do you think I should clarify more?

do you have an idea of drying time without product? that will tell you porosity . also, if post products using ingredients, we can help better

I tried the drying with no product and it took no time for my hair to dry. I would assume that means high porosity?

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curliejess wrote: »

I tried the drying with no product and it took no time for my hair to dry. I would assume that means high porosity?

probably medium-to high-ish porosity. is it super humid where you are, now? if so, lighter co-wash might be easier to prevent frizz? and aloe & glycerin free leave in.

i am having to grow my curls & waves back to full potential after being bullied tons this past year.
    although, co-washing doesn't work for me cause area where i am has very hard water minerals wise.
    so am reading to learn as much as can :)
  • havendaisybhavendaisyb Posts: 5Registered Users
    Do you brush your hair when wet by any chance? If so, you might want to stop. I've always had the halo of frizz until my hairdresser said that brushing my hair while wet was causing breakage. It took a couple months, but the frizz has been disappearing as the short hairs grow out. Now I only brush before I take a shower and lightly finger comb when my hair is wet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file