Help with different layers.

Danielle-102Danielle-102 Posts: 2Registered Users
First post here, so hello!

I have a problem that's been bothering me for years. I have two layers of my hair, curly and wavy-ish. On top, like you can see in my profile picture, it's curly. 3B is what the quiz told me. But the bottom layer, beneath the curls, it's wavy. Probably 3A? It's way longer than my curls on top, so it makes me feel like I have a mullet type deal going on.

I just need help figuring out how to bring out the curls in the bottom bit so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of my hair. :(

Comments

• Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Posts: 74Registered Users
    That's a tough one. I'd say try plopping, but I'd imagine that'd tighten your tighter curls too.

A: Maybe try shingling your tighter curls with a light gel (or any product you find loosens your curls) so they may dry looser?

B: Or scrunch your looser curls only. So they may dry tighter?

C: Play with products. Use products you know that tighten your curls on your looser strands. Use products you know loosen your curls on your tighter strands.

D: Blow dry your tighter curls while stretched? Let your looser curls air dry.

E: All of the above?

Isn't curly hair fun? LoL
  • Danielle-102Danielle-102 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I'll try these! Thank you. It's just crazy, lmao.
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This isn't uncommon, lots of curlies have varying sections of pattern. I'd suggest consulting a Devacut trained hairstylist. They can cut your hair to blend the looser layer in with the tighter layer. They do dry cuts, so they'd be able to see what's going on. I imagine a lot of your problem is that your cut was done wet, so the stylist couldn't see the issue b
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you'd like to tighten your underneath curl layer, a homemade epsom salt spray (made in boiling water, so it doesn't dry out your hair as much) can help, as well as a harder hold gel and more gel in the back. And diffusing the back for longer on each section of hair (this is what I do to my back layer, which can be quite curly but if over moisturized pulls out the curl and stretches downward and I sport a mullet, lol).
    Also a dry cut with your back layer cut shorter can do wonders. A deva trained or similar stylist should be able to help you with this, if they are any good (not all stylists are good just because they're curly trained).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    This isn't uncommon, lots of curlies have varying sections of pattern. I'd suggest consulting a Devacut trained hairstylist. They can cut your hair to blend the looser layer in with the tighter layer. They do dry cuts, so they'd be able to see what's going on. I imagine a lot of your problem is that your cut was done wet, so the stylist couldn't see the issue b

I agree....a good stylist should be able to blend you layers
    You can look here on NC for recommendations in your area and also maybe on Yelp

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file