Went on vacation and lost a lot of hair?!

HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Posts: 57Registered Users
Before I went on vacation, I got a nice cut and made sure to do a PT and DC before I left. Went to Florida and then to the Philippines for about 2 months. During these 2 months, I noticed a lot of my hair was breaking. Not from the roots because I did not see the bulb, but I started to notice I have split ends. It's very hot there so I would put my hair up in a updo. Maybe the updo's were the cause to this mess? I always sleep with a high updo and satin cap. Also, I couldn't do anything when I was in the Philippines. I did not have enough luggage room to bring my treatments, and the hair salons nearby only knew how to cut and dry straight hair.

I am now officially back from vacation but am very busy dealing with the death of my grandfather (wake, funerals and all that extra stuff.)

I do notice my hair is thinning. I know I had more hair than what I have right now. I have a birthmark on my head that I did not even know I had before until it became very visible.

Do you guys think it's because I have not being keeping up with my DC and PT? The tight updo's? Or a combination of all this leading to my hair hell nightmare? Will getting a trim help? I really hope it's not a major problem because we do not have the money to be going to all these doctors and seeing a hair stylist professional.I am only 19 and am losing so much hair which is beyond terrifying to me. Please help!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First, I want to say I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather. They're the best and that's tough.

It could have been any of those things--tight updos, or a change in the water (maybe you went from soft to hard or vice verse?). Hopefully now that you're back it will change. If it doesn't, my recommendation would be to clarify and chelate your hair. (you can use a chelating shampoo or try an apple cider vinegar rinse).

If your hair is still breaking, it could be from any number of things. You might have too much protein or dryness. Here's a few cheap-ish things to try and strengthen your hair: catnip tea, fermented rice water, or henna/amla/shikakai tea, recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHdQNrZwEaY. These are all things I've used in my hair and they've been helpful.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Posts: 57Registered Users
    naturecat wrote: »
    First, I want to say I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather. They're the best and that's tough.

It could have been any of those things--tight updos, or a change in the water (maybe you went from soft to hard or vice verse?). Hopefully now that you're back it will change. If it doesn't, my recommendation would be to clarify and chelate your hair. (you can use a chelating shampoo or try an apple cider vinegar rinse).

If your hair is still breaking, it could be from any number of things. You might have too much protein or dryness. Here's a few cheap-ish things to try and strengthen your hair: catnip tea, fermented rice water, or henna/amla/shikakai tea, recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHdQNrZwEaY. These are all things I've used in my hair and they've been helpful.

Thank you so much for replying.

I heard chelating makes hair very dry. Should I do a DC treatment right after? I will definitely pick one up at the store and give it a try though. I also heard many great things about the fermented rice water, so i'll also give that a try as well if I don't see any success.

I am going to get my hair cut this week so hopefully she will cut all the damaged ends off and my hair will be back to normal again. I hope to never go through this again.. This is such a nightmare!
    Fermented Rice Water helps add elasticity and helps with hair shedding. I'm sure it probably strengthens too and definitely adds moisture. All in all probably a good combo for your hair.

Chelating isn't drying for my hair, but I use ACV. But after using any shampoo it's good to sure sure hair is conditioned enough afterwards.

Maybe a DC would help you in and of itself, if the water dried out your hair.

BTW--catnip tea doesn't fixed ends that are already damaged, but it does prevent split ends from forming.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • HappinessmoonHappinessmoon Posts: 57Registered Users
    naturecat wrote: »
    Fermented Rice Water helps add elasticity and helps with hair shedding. I'm sure it probably strengthens too and definitely adds moisture. All in all probably a good combo for your hair.

Chelating isn't drying for my hair, but I use ACV. But after using any shampoo it's good to sure sure hair is conditioned enough afterwards.

Maybe a DC would help you in and of itself, if the water dried out your hair.

BTW--catnip tea doesn't fixed ends that are already damaged, but it does prevent split ends from forming.

Thanks for the great advice! Hopefully after trying all this, and getting a haircut, it will bring my hair back to normal once again. I will most definitely try the catnip tea so I do not have to go through dealing with split ends.

Thank you so much again for your help :smile:
    No problem. Best of luck! :)

3A/f/i
  • cherrygoocherrygoo Posts: 10Registered Users
    I'm so sorry for your loss. The split end damage could be due to hard water. Get gallons of distilled if possible. Do not use bottled, it still has magnesium and calcium in it, which makes water hard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file