A question about finding how ingredients interact with each other

curlybluescurlyblues Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi curlies,

So as a bit of context I live in a country with a dew point that's above 60F/15C almost all year round. My hair is somewhere between 3B/3C, is between medium to thick density, has thick strands, is coarse and is also very porous.

Most of the CG holy grail products are not available in my country so I've been trying to be as creative as possible to find things that are protein free or mild, filled with moisture and are void of humectants (which is a bit tough since just about a lot of the products here are filled with humectants and proteins).

I'm just a bit confused about when ingredients do not mix well together and when they combine perfectly.

For instance, I notice that some products here have oils listed as a top ingredient and then a few ingredients after they'll list something like alcohol or similar. As I understand this is to remove any build-up that could happen from the oils but I noticed a lot of curlies in general say to stay away from alcohols, especially in this weather.

I've also noticed some products list types of heavy ingredients, like coconot oil or shea butter for example, and then add a type of humectant with it. Does this mean it's to prevent the humectants from playing havoc in a highly humid weather or does this mean I'll likely end up with dry and frizzy hair?

And then when it comes to shampoos what makes for a very safe shampoo, in case I could never find a silicone or water-soluble safe product? :oops: The stuff I'm finding online tends to be confusing as I'll notice one site saying something like X is good and B is bad with another saying B is good and X is bad, if that makes sense?

Sorry for the 20 questions and thank you for your patience! :D

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know answer to all of questions, but if its super high dews-aloe & glycerin in leave ins can often be problematic & cause gummy feeling
  • curlybluescurlyblues Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks Morrison. I noticed my hair really dries out with aloe and glycerin. I also noticed I don't get the best results with shea, coconut and olive oil :(
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hey, :) .

if you click on curlmart tab , you can filter products by attribute/whether they contain something.

i have looser curls, and currently trying to find more options myself
  • curlybluescurlyblues Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestion :D maybe I can get an idea from those products and see if the products here might be similar!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file