Just using a curl cream

So I big chopped (I had color damage) and have been wearing my hair curly, and as such have been obsessed with this site, for the past 7 months. I found out early on that using just a gel with out a curl cream underneath left me with stringy hair. So for the first 5 months I used a cream, and then a gel on top, and that gave me great results.

Having heard such great things about the devacurl super cream, I decided to pick it up, I couldn't find it at my ULTA so I picked up the styling cream instead. I decided to use it by itself without a gel on top, and my results were AMAZING and my curls lasted all week, and they lasted much better than they did with the addition of the gel. I have tried this with other creams as well, and have had equally awesome results.

From everything I had read on this site, I had assumed that I needed some type of gel for hold.

I was just wondering if anyone else had an experience like that. Or if anyone else prefers just using a curl cream, without the addition of a gel.
3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
Porosity ~ Medium/High
Shampoo-SMJBCO
Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
Hair length - APL
Short term goal: BSL
Long term goal:Waist Length

Comments

• JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use SuperCream too, and it is an excellent styler and works fabulously alone. Unfortunately for me, the weather here has been insanely humid, and about a month ago I had to start using a gel again to keep my definition.

I am moving to a drier climate, however, so I'm looking forward to eliminating the gel again!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it largely depends on a) what you like in terms of definition, and b) what you need in terms of frizz control.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Yellowtail_DoveYellowtail_Dove Posts: 4Registered Users
    I use both depending on the style. For the most part I just use a curl cream for my twist outs (with leave in conditioner as the base), but if i'm using curlformers I need gel...ALL the gel.
    4b/4C Product junkie!
    Current go to style: 2 strand twist out

I got my first relaxer at 14, used hot combs until I was 23, got my last relaxer at 28 and have been on my natural hair journey for 2.5 years.

Goal: To have hair so big I have to walk sideways to get through doors. To have hair so long, I can sit on it. To have hair so healthy, the shine is blinding.
  • sarahisarahi Posts: 55Registered Users
    JunyJu wrote: »
    I use SuperCream too, and it is an excellent styler and works fabulously alone. Unfortunately for me, the weather here has been insanely humid, and about a month ago I had to start using a gel again to keep my definition.

I am moving to a drier climate, however, so I'm looking forward to eliminating the gel again!
    JunyJu, you were actually the reason I wanted to try SuperCream! :) and it definitely changed my hair styling routine for the better.
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Oyin Shine & Define is also a cream you can use alone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file