Too much protein?

Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Posts: 23Registered Users
So I had posted something in another part of the Naturally Curly forum about my hair being very limp and a few people suggested I try a protein treatment. So I went ahead and purchased the "Aphogee 2 Step Treatment" from my local Sally's after seeing great reviews for it online. I just did this last night so I can already tell the treatment really didn't perform as well as I'd hoped. My hair came out VERY soft, almost too soft I think. I remember when I was towel drying my hair, as my hair started to air dry, a lot of my waves came out and I pretty much ended up with straight hair. Do you think any of this has to do with the protein treatment or am I really over-conditioned?

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just left a note on your other post about straight hair. When I have protein overload, my hair turns out straight. Sometimes it's also tangly and dry, but other times it's really soft. The treatment might have been too much for your hair, or else the proteins in it aren't what your hair likes. It can be maddening trying to figure this stuff out.

Case in point: For several weeks I had been struggling with dry, tangly hair for which nothing seemed to work. To make a long story short, I finally tried a shampoo and conditioner with hydrolyzed soy protein, and that fixed my problem. I had been using protein before, but it was quinoa, and my hair apparently didn't like it. With the soy, my hair became smooth and the curls more defined.

When I washed my hair today (four days later), I used a shampoo with hydrolyzed wheat protein, plus the conditioner with the hydrolyzed soy. My hair was pretty stretchy afterward and was limper than before, and a little straighter than before. So I have overdone the protein. I'm going to go back to a nonprotein shampoo and conditioner for a while. I'm guessing that in a couple of weeks, my hair should be back to normal. Grr.

I feel like this stuff happens to me more now that my hair is low porosity. When it was high porosity, it was much harder to overdo protein.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file