Confused about moisture / protein balance

I've been doing some research online in regards to the moisture / balance topic. My hair I've noticed has become a little limp in some areas and I'm wondering if A) I need to either cut back on the moisture or B) do a protein treatment. Just cannot for the life of me figure out which one it is! Also, I tried the stretch test and found my strand of hair to stretch really far when wet and then snap. Does that mean I need more protein?

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds like it could be overconditioned, but I'm not seeing it, either, so, you know.

Try a protein treatment. If you didn't need it, your hair will go stiff and strawlike, but you can fix that with a deep conditioner. If you search "iagirl protein treatment", you'll find a recipe for a cheap, at home treatment using gelatin for the protein, and if you don't like it, you can always make jello with the leftovers. :)

Since you're not sure, I'd use half a packet of gelatin to make the treatment instead of the whole packet. If you like the results, try the whole packet next.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • curlbeautydiarycurlbeautydiary Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It does look like you need proteins. I think you should do a protein treatment and see how it goes.
    Indian curly hair blogger@ curlsandbeautydiary.com
    2c/3a
    Cowash /Conditioner: Enliven & Revlon Flex condish
    Moisturiser: Coconut oil, SheaMoisture Reconstructive Elixir
    Styling: FSG, Devacurl Ultra defining gel
    Protein: Gelatin
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would also recommend protein.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Posts: 23Registered Users
    Okay so I went to Sally's last night and bought the "Aphogee 2 Step Treatment" but found it really didn't help my hair at all. My hair is certainly softer but I don't see much of a difference with either elasticity or frizziness. If anything it looks like my hair is a little more limp than before. Anyone know why this could be?
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Okay so I went to Sally's last night and bought the "Aphogee 2 Step Treatment" but found it really didn't help my hair at all. My hair is certainly softer but I don't see much of a difference with either elasticity or frizziness. If anything it looks like my hair is a little more limp than before. Anyone know why this could be?
    humidity?

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair could be overmoisturized. Is the second step of the treatment a conditioner?

I have also found that my low-porosity hair sometimes reacts to protein overload by becoming straighter. Does that sound like what has happened, or is it just limp?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Andrea.WilsoAndrea.Wilso Posts: 31Registered Users
    Try testing your hair's protein/moisture balance by following the method here: Too Much Hair Protein
    2c/3a - M - iii - mid-back length - med. porosity - protein sensitive
    Bleached and colored ~2x a year, every year

Routine every 3 days:
    No-Poo for 10 years and counting!: Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado and Quinoa Cowash
    Deep Conditioner: Brieogeo Don't Despair, Repair!
    Styling: 1st - AG Re:Coil, 2nd - Moxie Bling Pomade, 3rd - DevaCurl Ultra Hold Gel
    Air-dry only, pineapple overnight

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file