Itchy flakey scalp

xairaxaira Posts: 5Registered Users
Hello. I'm new at cg and been trying it for a couple weeks now. Right now I'm having a problem with my scalp being itchy and flakey. This usually happens when the seasons change and one use of salson blue clears it up. No other product seems to work. Is there something CG I could try?
Right now I'm using the no-poo deva curl and conditioner and gel. Or tresseme biotique conditioners and Pantine curly gel. But also a not CG friendly violet shampoo for my bleached brassy hair.

Comments

• wycurlswycurls Posts: 47Registered Users
    try incorporating a sulfate free low poo in your regime. also, put some brown sugar in your conditioner when you wash your hair, it feels amazing on the scalp. you may need to use a clarifying shampoo every now and then, which the selson blue with the sulfates would help clarify.
  • JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Posts: 46Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I recommend Tea Tree Oil for your scalp, it's really helped me. I use it at night before bed an sleep with it and I'll add some to my conditioner in the morning. I have to be careful when I use it though, I have fine hair and it will make it look greasy if I use too much of it.

OGX has a Tea Tree Shampoo that I believe is CG friendly and I found the bottle of the oil at Target in the shampoo isle.
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
  • cm03cm03 Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse? When I get itchy scalp after coloring I do that for a few washes and it helps. I use a bottle like this Mainstays Dispense Bottle - Walmart.com and keep it in the shower. It's great so I can concentrate it on my scalp. I squirt onto scalp, massage a bit. then rinse lightly with cold water. Really helps.
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to have seborrhea, it would flare up bad to the point I couldn't stop scratching my scalp.

I've tried all medicated shampoos, including Regenepure DR (not quite CG friendly as it has silicone, however it is SLS free). It worked for a time but then I was still having the same issues.

I bought this shampoo bar off of etsy and it ended up being the best decision I ever made. It got rid of my seborrhea and from there I was able to transition to a great conditioning cleanser that keeps my seborrhea away. Now if I need a clarifying shampoo, I use DE lemon tea tree shampoo which is CG friendly and on occasion I will use an SLS apple-scented shampoo I got from a salon supply store (I got a massive 1 gallon jug of it lol).

Remember that CG isn't about going a long time in between washes. Some people can, some people can't. If you're having an itchy scalp, you need to wash more often and with a product that isn't going to just give temporary relief, but get rid of the problem. I know for me, vinegar and tea tree oil even at high concentrations did not work for me. Neither did shampoos with ketoconazole or zinc. In the end, I think it was the clay in that shampoo bar that really kick started the removal of the fungus causing my scalp itch and dandruff. But everyone is different, and something I've learned though my own hair journey is that if my scalp it itching, I should address it asap and get rid of the problem before it gets as bad as I let mine get originally.

ETA: a few other suggestions, don't put conditioner on anywhere near your scalp (condition from ears down), if you have a diffuser on your blow dryer, use the blow dryer to at least dry the scalp/roots to about 60% or more before air drying.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • Andrea.WilsoAndrea.Wilso Posts: 31Registered Users
    I would also suggest going to your doctor and having them check your scalp for eczema or something similar. If it's that, no amount of product/routine changes are going to help 100% unless you know that's what you're dealing with.

Be very, very careful with messing with your scalp's pH balance by using vinegar. I'd check for scalp conditions first, and if you're in the clear, then maybe try it. But again, be careful, just like you would putting any harsh chemical on your head or face.

Good luck!
    2c/3a - M - iii - mid-back length - med. porosity - protein sensitive
    Bleached and colored ~2x a year, every year

Routine every 3 days:
    No-Poo for 10 years and counting!: Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado and Quinoa Cowash
    Deep Conditioner: Brieogeo Don't Despair, Repair!
    Styling: 1st - AG Re:Coil, 2nd - Moxie Bling Pomade, 3rd - DevaCurl Ultra Hold Gel
    Air-dry only, pineapple overnight

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file