Fine thinning curly hair

I am new to this site and hope I can get some help with my fine thinning curly hair mess.
Some background info...I always had fine hair but lots of it. I have been through a lot over the course of 6years...bad divorce which made my hair thin. But it came back a year or so later.
Then 2years after that my hair started to thin again for no reason that I could think of until someone mentioned possible low ferrtin (iron) well low and behold bam I was at 7. So took iron pills daily since September 2015.
In January my level was 67 and I haven't been checked since but I continue to take the pills.
Now my hair has come back a bit, the curl definalty came back. But its still think looking and looks horrible as ever.
I have tried conditioners but they seem to weigh down my hair, even the ones that are for fine, thin hair. Protein treatments, they didn't seem to do much. I have tried air drying, blow drying, pretty much searched and tried everything. My hair is just a mess.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,260Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if your hair is low porosity. If that is the case, your conditioners might not be penetrating your hair but just sit on top, making it greasy. The solution is usually to do a deep conditioning treatment with heat. The Science-y Hair Blog has info on dealing with low-porosity hair and talks about how to do this deep treatment: Moisturizing Low-Porosity Hair. Once your hair is moisturized, you may find that other things start falling into place.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What are you using, products and techniques?

Your hair looks as thin as mine is naturally and I can get some decent volume going. (Of course, if yours was thicker, you may not be as happy with it as I am.)

Let's see, I use a low poo because any buildup shows. I do not leave in my rinse out conditioner, too heavy. I use KCKT leave in, nice and light, but moisturizing. Then I use KCCC (with CK on top in high humidity, and only high humidity). I rake and shake in the conditioner, then scrunch n pump the gel. I put everything into soaking wet hair. I just squeeze out the worst of the drips in the shower.

I put a hard hold gel like LALSG just on the roots where I want lift and clip while I put on makeup. I do not plop, that crushes my hair. Once I'm done, my hair is about 50% dry, I take out the clips and diffuse. There is a learning curve to diffusing, I'd watch a video on it.

Once everything is dry, I SOTC on the lengths and carefully insert my hands into my hair so the pads of my fingers are on the roots and gently rub to get rid of the crunch from the gel I applied there.

For protein, are you using iagirl's gelatin treatment? That works well and it's under $2 for a box of gelatin.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file