Totally Lost- Products Discontinued!

GirlyThatsCurlyGirlyThatsCurly Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey fellow curly girls,
I am writing this post out of desperation and frustration! In the past few months pretty much all of my holy grail products have been discontinued. I prefer to use aloe-free (I'm allergic to it) and humectant-free products, especially with my gel. I have noticed that any humectants in gels tend to leave my hair extremely frizzy in Florida's already high humidity. I also stay away from heavy oils due to my fine, low porosity hair, they weigh my hair down. In addition, I do stay away from silicone since I use a sulfate-free cleanser. Because of these reasons, it took me forever to find the right products, but I finally had it down to; Yes to Blueberries Healthy Hair conditioner as a rinse-out, Yes to Carrots Pampering conditioner (totally humectant-free, silicone-free, and aloe-free!) as a leave-in, and Aussie Instant Freeze gel as a styler. This combo of products worked magically!!! However, the "Yes To" line reformulated their Yes to Carrots Pampering conditioner to have high amounts of glycerin and aloe and they totally discontinued their Yes To Blueberries conditioner!! Then, Aussie reformulates their Instant Freeze gel to also have high amounts of glycerin and aloe! :cry:

Thankfully, I still have a few bottles left of each of these products, but I know I am going to need to find new products soon and I am absolutely dreading it!!!
Does anyone have suggestions for a new rinse out conditioner, leave in conditioner, and gel that are humectant-free, silicone-free, and aloe-free?? It is okay for the rinse-out conditioner to have a low amount of humectants, but none for the leave-in or the gel. I hate having to start over and I feel like I am never going to find the right products again!

Someone please help me! Thanks so much!!!
3a- Bits of 3b, fine, mid-back length, low porosity, low-medium density.
Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
Condition: ??
Leave-In: Currently looking for a glycerin-free one!
Style: Pantene Pro-V Curl Sculpting Gel
PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me
Low-Poo: Living Proof Full

Loves: Protein!!
Dislikes: Heavy oils, heavy leave-ins, waxes, (anything that weighs my fine hair down!), glycerin in high dew points
ALLERGIC: Aloe Vera :-(

Comments

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you need the leave in conditioner to be *completely* free of any humectants, or do you mean free of the main problem humectants like glycerin/propylene glycol? Are you ok with panthenol, or things like seakelp, nettle, etc? Ingredients that are usually at the very bottom of the ingredient list? Things like amino acids and peptides are proteins that can act as humectants, so do you need the leave in to be protein free as well?
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • GirlyThatsCurlyGirlyThatsCurly Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No, it does not need to be protein free. I prefer totally humectant-free, but I'm willing to try one that has humectants as long as it does not have the problem ones that cause major frizz.

Dislikes: Heavy oils, heavy leave-ins, waxes, (anything that weighs my fine hair down!), glycerin in high dew points
    As for a gel suggestions, I have used Pantene Curls Shaping Gel. It has panthenol, but it has no other humectants. It has a water soluble cone, though, so that is something to consider. Herbal Essences Set Me Up might be one to look at too.

For conditioners, I have used a couple of them with no humectants besides panthenol but they're thinner consistency. They could technically be left in, but might not be very moisturizing. They're V05 Silky Moisture Conditioner and V05 Extra Body Conditioner. Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner is also humectant free. I have and old formulation of Ion Repair Effective Care Conditioner that has panthenol only (Sallys) and it's thicker and could be left in... BUT it appears to now be reformulated and contains a cone.

Sorry I dont know more products...maybe some others can chime in with some suggestions too.
    CG since 11/2014
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll try the Pantene gel. I've never tried a water-soluble cone, but since it's water soluble I'm sure it'll be fine. For the conditioners, are you recommending those as rinse-outs? And do they have any silicones?

No, the conditioners I listed do not contain silicones. I use them as cowash or rinse out, mainly because they dont moisturize enough for me to leave in. I need a ton of moisture and lots of oils because I'm so high porosity. But everyone's hair is different, so you could try em out and see how they do for you. They could very well work for your rinse out if they dont work for a leave in, and they're super cheap, so its not a huge waste of money if they dont work for either.

For the Pantene gel, I havent had any issue with the water soluble cone. Plus its kind of farther down on the ingredient list. Not quite at the bottom, but mid range. The level of hold may be different than the Aussie, but again, that is something you will have to see for yourself.
    CG since 11/2014
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 525Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Try curl junkie pattern Pusha gel. It is glycerin free, doesn't have aloe or protein.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,259Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would suggest going to the Curl Junkie website, because she tries to be sensitive to these things, and there are probably some products there that would help you. I have the CJ Beauticurls leave-in, and it is humectant free. The CJ website lists it for high-porosity hair, but if you use just a little, you should be OK.

Another possibility for the leave-in is the one by As I Am. It does have some glycerin, but it is tenth in the list of ingredients. I haven't found it to cause frizz at all. I like it because it is lightweight and good for the summer. It is a HG for me right now.

For gels, you could try the Sevi Blue Yarrow gel. It is a hard-hold gel, but when you scrunch out the crunch, it leaves the hair really soft. I personally like a little more texture once I SOTC, so I don't use the Sevi unless my hair is feeling really dry. Another gel I like is the Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel. It has aloe, but it is the very last ingredient in a long list.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I highly recommend the CJ Curl Queen. We have high dews in the midwest in summer, and this is the only gel (besides the old Ouidad Climate Control gel) that works on my hair.

Sorry to the previous poster, but I wouldn't try the Sevi gel, it makes hair poofy in the humidity.

A only combo I've found to work excellent in humidity/high dews is CJ Daily Fix (it contains cocamidopropyl betaine, which will cleans silicones), Aussie Moist conditioner as a leave in, and CJ Curl Queen for gel.

Have you tried Yes to Cucumbers? That also worked well for me when I was using it. Not sure if they've reformulated that one or not.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Unfortunately, the Curl Queen gel has aloe in it and I'm allergic to aloe :( The Aussie Moist conditioner also has aloe and it looks like it has a silicone as well. Not sure if it's water soluble? This is why it's so hard for me to find products! Thank you for the suggestions though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file