Given up on Naturally Curly

I have tried everything in the book when it comes to no sulfates, no parabens, no silicones, no drying alcohols.

Trying to do co-washing, deep conditioning, protein treatments, ect.

My hair looks worse than ever. It is always dry now, it is frizzy no matter what I do, and trying the naturally curly way has made me hate my hair even more.:shaking: I'm not sure what to do other than go back to my old ways of straightening my hair and never seeing my curly hair again.

Has anyone else had this much trouble that they have given up on their hair?
:love2: Lust With Serotonia :love2:
:nemo: 3A/3B Low Porosity :nemo:

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,269Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think you are talking about the Curly Girl book (?). Just to be clear, the Naturally Curly site is not connected with the book, though a lot of the members here do use the Curly Girl method.

Did you do a final wash with a sulfate shampoo before starting the co-washing?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 180Registered Users Curl Novice
    Have you checked out the labels and played around with different formulations? It may be a matter of avoiding certain ingredients. When I first started trying CG, I had very similar issues with dryness and frizz - until I figured out that protein and coconut make my hair look like a witch's broom! Even though I'll keep experimenting, for now I have found some products that make my hair very healthy-looking - much better than back in the non-CG days.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    Winter: Acure Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner; then KCCC
    Summer: CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then CJ Beauticurls (and on days when I want more polish or definition) CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Sally's GVPCB, mixed with sunflower and olive oils 
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,120Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sometimes a different sort of method can help your hair look good and be healthy. Not everyone benefits from strict cg.

For example, can you wear your hair curly if you use silicones and a mild sulfate shampoo? Does it look good that way without straightening it?

Another method that works well for me is to use a good conditioner, comb my hair, do absolutely nothing, no styling, no scrunching, and just let it dry or dry with a diffuser. Then I use my Conair Instant Heat Brush (not a hot air brush - check Amazon for different sizes of the Conair Instant Heat Brush) and use it to curl just the top layers of my hair. I get a much more polished look that way and still haven't damaged my hair by straightening.

It was someone on this website who suggested the Conair Instant Heat Brush to me when I was desperate - I love it. It isn't expensive.

If you get it, just understand, it doesn't blow dry your hair - it's meant to be used on dry hair. It isn't super hot like a flat iron and it doesn't burn my hair or my fingers. There are 25 heat settings.

The main thing is to find a method that makes your hair healthy and makes you happy and doesn't drive you nuts. If your goal is to wear your hair in its natural curly state and avoid straightening it, try one of these other methods. I hope one of them works for you. :thumright:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You have to try out a bunch of products to find what works for you, and the same goes for techniques. (You didn't figure out how to straighten your hair in an hour, did you?)

I don't cowash, I use a low poo. I don't leave a rinse out conditioner in my hair, that's just way too heavy, I use a light leave in instead. What I put in for styling depends a lot on the weather. On a high humidity day, I need a leave in conditioner, KCCC and CK on top of that, and my hair will look lovely- lots of body and pretty ringlets. If I put the CK on top on a not-so-humid day, my hair is lank and greasy and stringy.

There's a lot of experimentation that goes into having nice curls. There was a lot of experimentation that went into making your hair straight, too, it just took place over the course of years and you didn't notice.

If you can tell us your hair's properties- fine or coarse, thin or thick, porous or not- we might be able to suggest some things.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 398Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Everything said above and it takes some people years to find a routine that works for them. Your hair is unique and requires lots of experimentation.
    4a/3c, Low Porosity, Fine Texture
  • curlbeautydiarycurlbeautydiary Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey maybe you can post your hair pictures so that we can all help
    Indian curly hair blogger@ curlsandbeautydiary.com
    2c/3a
    Cowash /Conditioner: Enliven & Revlon Flex condish
    Moisturiser: Coconut oil, SheaMoisture Reconstructive Elixir
    Styling: FSG, Devacurl Ultra defining gel
    Protein: Gelatin
  • Yellowtail_DoveYellowtail_Dove Posts: 4Registered Users
    I tried the CG method when I first started, but my hair never felt clean after co-washing and the build up was intense, so I made some changes. Instead of going back to straight hair, I switched up my methods. Just like following a recipe, you add or take away based on your personal tastes. I would encourage you to keep at it! No one gets it right on their first try.
    4b/4C Product junkie!
    Current go to style: 2 strand twist out

I got my first relaxer at 14, used hot combs until I was 23, got my last relaxer at 28 and have been on my natural hair journey for 2.5 years.

Goal: To have hair so big I have to walk sideways to get through doors. To have hair so long, I can sit on it. To have hair so healthy, the shine is blinding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file