Hair falls limp

Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Posts: 23Registered Users
Right now I have just above chin length wavy hair. A couple months back I damaged my hair after bleaching it at home. That's when I realized I had to cut back on the blow-drying and bleaching to further destroy my hair. Since then I've been going a little crazy trying to figure out why my hair won't cooperate.

After washing / conditioning, I apply leave-in conditioner just on the ends of my hair by raking it in. Then I use a level 4 hair gel, scrunch it in, and then remove excess water with a t-shirt. I always let my hair air dry and it does create a cast but when I break the cast, my hair just goes limp. There really isn't much volume and just a slight wave. I'm so confused because I thought using gel keeps the hair in place, not make it limp? Anyone know what's going on with my hair?

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are a few possibilities it can be: You may need a protein treatment, you may need a stronger or different gel, you may get weighed down by the conditioner and/or gel itself. I remove water before applying product, don't use LI, and don't rake; any of these things pull out my curl. But everyone is different. What are your hair properties? What is the strand width of your hair? Also, you may want to try diffusing (not sure if that's what you were referring to when you said blow-drying?). Diffusing gives great volume and also shortens drying time, thus giving water less time to weigh down hair and pull out the curl. If heat is a concern you can always set it to low heat or even cool air.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Andrea.WilsoAndrea.Wilso Posts: 31Registered Users
    Some things to try:

1 - Check your hair's protein to moisture level. The instructions for finding out which one your hair needs/has too much of can be found here.

2 - The gel and/or leave in conditioner may be too heavy for your hair. I have a ton of hair that's dry and bleached over at least twice on the ends, and so I assumed a good creamy leave-in conditioner would be perfect! But it wasn't! It was way too heavy. If your individual hair strands are more medium/fine thickness, instead of a leave-in conditioner, try a leave-in lighter oil. Avoid heavy, clinging oils and butters. I really like almond, rosehip, grapeseed, and rosarco oil for this. Coconut, shea, and even jojoba or castor oil would be a little heavy if your hair is more of the medium/fine side.

Level 4 gel is also really, really strong. It might be interesting for you to try styling with a light-hold cocktail of products, like the Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets and Gelebration Spray products, which are lighter hold when used alone but layer really nicely without creating too much weight on your hair.

4 - Products with silicones will also weigh your hair down.

5 - Sadly, very damaged hair cuticles will never curl the way they "should". They're physically damaged. Your hair may be limp when styled because that's the best your hair shaft can do at the moment - it doesn't have the structural integrity to curl up and hold product, but without product, it will look a mess (because it is a mess, structurally) since your cuticles won't be physically smoothed down by products.

Do your best, get regular trims, keep your hair well moisturized/proteinized (depending on what that test you take says about your hair!) by doing the right treatments every two weeks or so, and be patient. It'll get there. Good luck!
    2c/3a - M - iii - mid-back length - med. porosity - protein sensitive
    Bleached and colored ~2x a year, every year

Routine every 3 days:
    No-Poo for 10 years and counting!: Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado and Quinoa Cowash
    Deep Conditioner: Brieogeo Don't Despair, Repair!
    Styling: 1st - AG Re:Coil, 2nd - Moxie Bling Pomade, 3rd - DevaCurl Ultra Hold Gel
    Air-dry only, pineapple overnight
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I too would suggest trying a protein treatment, and if that doesn't work, trying a different gel. I do have some gels that dry with a really nice cast, but once I scrunch out the crunch, my hair doesn't have much texture to it, and it falls flat.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    I also remove water before applying leave ins and stylers as Naturecat suggested. My hair just gets weighed down too easily otherwise.
    I also second the protein treatment. You could also try a mousse instead of a gel. The above suggested Gelebration spray is good, too. Have you tried clipping at the roots? This gives me a bit of lift and volume.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    What products specifically are you using? There are a wide array of factors that could contribute.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Posts: 23Registered Users
    What's weird is about two weeks ago I made one of those gelatin protein treatments and it did nothing for my hair. As you mentioned, I thought I needed protein also but it really didn't seem to do much for me. My hair properties I'm going to guess are high porosity, medium texture and medium density as well.
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The gelatin protein treatments don't do it for my hair either. I think sometimes, the type of protein may make a big difference ~ hair can be tricky and picky! While the gelatin didn't work for me, anything with keratin or silk protein makes the old curls bounce for joy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file