Plopping cause damage hair?

fangfang Posts: 17Registered Users
Hi!
I always wonder that if Plopping cause damage hair?
What I read is hair cuticle is open when hair is wet.
It' tend to get damage more .
So I wonder if plopping could be damage?
Please tell your opinion.

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hi, :) .

i think if gently do that with microfiber/non-terry towel , it should be OK. terry/regular towels catch/drag at curl pattern from what i've read on here
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think that the cuticle is necessarily open when the hair is wet. The cuticle is open via heat and via shampoo (most shampoos are designed to open the cuticle so that the hair will accept the conditioner). Alkaline rinses (like baking soda) can also raise the cuticle. But water alone does not necessarily raise the cuticle. If I am wrong, maybe one of the more science-minded members can correct me.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • fangfang Posts: 17Registered Users
    Hi! 😃MoisonFan91
    Thank you very much for reply.
    I am using devacurl towol.
    But wonder about it.:)
  • fangfang Posts: 17Registered Users
    Hi! Therese1
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I didn't know that
    >most shampoos are designed to open the cuticle so that the hair will accept the conditioner).

Good to know!

I read this at a site

>when hair is wet it is especially vulnerable to damage. Water weakens the weakest bonds within strands of hair, removing 1/3 of its strength. The simple act of brushing can lead to dire consequences in this weakened state.

Also many site saying same thing by Google Japan search.
    Hope plopping is not the bad.
  • Andrea.WilsoAndrea.Wilso Posts: 31Registered Users
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I don't think that the cuticle is necessarily open when the hair is wet. The cuticle is open via heat and via shampoo (most shampoos are designed to open the cuticle so that the hair will accept the conditioner). Alkaline rinses (like baking soda) can also raise the cuticle. But water alone does not necessarily raise the cuticle. If I am wrong, maybe one of the more science-minded members can correct me.

Mostly!

Your hair's cuticle is made up of shingle-like layers that overlap. Hair that is allowed to absorb liquid causes the hair shaft's core to swell, which lifts the "shingles" up. So yes, your cuticle is more open when it's very wet. It can also open with lots of heat, too little protein, or chemical applications like hair color and bleach.

In order to damage the cuticle when it's open, you would have to be pretty rough when styling/combing/rubbing your hair or apply harsh ingredients that get absorbed into the open hair shaft.

Just plopping on a microfiber or jersey fabric should not damage your hair at all.
    2c/3a - M - iii - mid-back length - med. porosity - protein sensitive
    Bleached and colored ~2x a year, every year

Routine every 3 days:
    No-Poo for 10 years and counting!: Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado and Quinoa Cowash
    Deep Conditioner: Brieogeo Don't Despair, Repair!
    Styling: 1st - AG Re:Coil, 2nd - Moxie Bling Pomade, 3rd - DevaCurl Ultra Hold Gel
    Air-dry only, pineapple overnight
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thank you, Andrea. I have low-porosity hair, so I was forgetting about the cortex of the hair swelling with water and pushing the cuticle up. I'm always fighting to get water in!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlbeautydiarycurlbeautydiary Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since there is no relative motion between the tee and your hair, there's no friction and so I don't see any reason plopping should damage your hair
    Indian curly hair blogger@ curlsandbeautydiary.com
    2c/3a
    Cowash /Conditioner: Enliven & Revlon Flex condish
    Moisturiser: Coconut oil, SheaMoisture Reconstructive Elixir
    Styling: FSG, Devacurl Ultra defining gel
    Protein: Gelatin
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I agree with curlbeautydiary.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein