Anyone tried Kate Scott's styling method?

Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,379Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I was surfing YouTube the other day and came across some videos by Kate Scott, a Ouidad stylist. She has several videos on styling curly hair. I'm going to try some of her techniques, since I've been having issues since I started growing out my hair (hard to get product distributed evenly, hard to make clumps, hair having no volume, etc.). I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it and how it worked for you. Here's the link to the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y18RwDcJAXc.
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I havent caught any of her videos but I'm intrigued so I'll check them out. I did watch the one you linked where she sectioned and did finger curls. Usually when I see someone do that or when I hear that technique advised I just lose interest because I am completely baffled about how that could possibly work at all. I have never tried it, but I can't imagine that would do anything but pull my waves out and make my hair straight and flat. I do not have that kind of curl that springs back up once it's pulled, so I don't know if I could twist it like that.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    I so badly want to be able to do a quick rake and shake with one product, but I find that if I rake through my hair it squeezes out too much water and makes the clumps too thin and my hair gets so stringy. I feel like this is a good method for people who don't have a tendency to look stringy, or those who don't need help clumping. I want to try this on my mom because her hair never looks stringy, it just wraps around other strands and creates ringlets. I style my hair with so much water and feel like that contributes to my lack of root curl, but if i use less water I run into stringiness.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
    So after watching, I see that she was prepping to do rake n shake. I think I've tried rake n shake maybe once a long time ago. I may try it again out of curiosity, but as I said in my post above, anything that pulls too hard on my hair ruins the wave. Also, geez I think I would lose every hair on my head if I raked that much. She seemed to be rather rough handling her sections...maybe it would help to smooth cuticles? I wouldn't be quite as rough as she appeared to be.
    CG since 11/2014
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've noticed how rough they style in oiudad videos, too. Maybe coarse or thick hair could withstand that, mine would fall right out.

For root volume, I have fine, thin hair and I apply a hard hold gel to the roots where I want some lift, then clip. It doesn't give me a lot of volume, but it prevents the roots from slicking to my skull. Once it dries, I very carefully rub the roots in those areas to "scrunch" out the crunch.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,379Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Well, I tried some of her method tonight. I raked the product through, which I think might have been helpful for me, because I think I don't get my product well distributed. But the shaking afterward did nothing, lol. My hair would have been an absolute mess. So what I did was rake the product through everywhere and then add lots of water and scrunched it into my hair. Then I got my clumps.

I actually had what would have been a really good hair day after diffusing, except that I am protein sensitive right now and didn't have a good gel to use. So I think my hair might have liked the sectioning and raking, just not the shaking. :)

Oh, and I did use the duckbill clips the way she talks about in her video, and I found that really helpful. I got better volume.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    I think the same thing - I could see how the raking part could ensure good product applicaiton. But the shaking part...I dont know maybe for some tighter curl patterns, but for me, being in the mid 2 range...the shaking does nothing.

I do admit I have problems getting good product distribution. I dont know what happens to me, on wash days I think 'ok today I am going to do this this and this' and then when I get in the routine of it all, its like my hands and arms do what they want, and I dont end up doing what I planned. Its weird. Some of it may be that on weekdays I just dont have the time to do more than the absolute bare minimum quick application and scrunching, so that is the majority of when my routine occurs. On weekends, I have a little bit more time but by then, its like muscle memory takes over! Plus, its like I'm terrified to get too much product. I have a medium to low density, so its very easy to tip over to too much. The other day when I worked out, my MopTop CC was slinking down my neck and shoulders. So that tells me I did too much product that time. I cant find the right amount of product to control frizz yet not be too much.
    CG since 11/2014
    I know what you mean about deciding you're doing to do something different and then defaulting to the usual. That happens to me too.

I did find with the raking that I did get a little too much product in my hair. Well, it wasn't actually the raking; it was the sectioning. I needed less product for each section. *sigh* I'll figure it out eventually, I guess...

I did find some additional helpful hints in her videos, though. I liked how she showed a different way to clip, and I liked her way of diffusing too. But I agree that her methods work better for those with a tighter curl pattern who maybe want to loosen it a bit. She sure has beautiful hair.
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As I figured she would before I even hit play, she did the rake and shake. I use this technique on my hair. It's faster than shingling and produces much less frizz. I may need to look into this sectioning though...

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    I do like the raking for what you mention: it really helps smooth the cuticle. But for my 2b hair, I need some scrunching afterward; raking doesn't do enough. I can see how it would work well for your type 4 hair, though.

I hope you like the videos! I thought it was nice to see a different method than what is usually discussed on the board.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file