How to get root curl?

Hello!

A few weeks ago I made an impulsive decision to cut 8 inches off my waist length 2C/3A hair (now its right below my bra-line), partially in hopes that I would get more root curl or at least more volume. However, aside from the fact that the length of my curls are much more springy and well defined, I am still getting a flat top!
I change my part throughout the day to get a little volume, but I wish I could just get it to with a little more volume
I've tried plopping with no luck, and while mousses do help some, they always dry out my hair and make it extremely tangley underneath (the under layer of my hair has recently been pretty straight). I also tried the clipping method, but my root just flatten right back out within an hour. I have not tried diffusing because I prefer to let my hair air dry, and honestly I don't want to spend 40 minutes drying my hair every time I shower, but I am willing to give it a shot if there are no better options.

Any tips or ideas?

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Try bending over (so your hair hangs upside down) and diffusing the roots for a few minutes near the end of your drying time, but be aware that it also may make your hair a little messy.

Also, you can try looking at some of the clipping techniques on youtube. I have to say none of them ever worked for me but maybe you will have more luck. The upside down technique (above) works for me.

The only other thing I can suggest is to get some layers cut into your hair so that the top is shorter and will have more volume, bounce and root curl from the cut. I know that's tricky and you may not want to change the entire shape your haircut to get root curl.

Also, as a last ditch effort, if you buy some long bobby pins, maybe you could cheat and insert a few in such a way so as to lift up some of the hair on your crown without the bobby pins showing. I hope you find something that works for you!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I absolutely swear by Curly Hair Solutions roller jaw clips. ONLY these and no substitutions. There are videos on line as to how to use them; however, I do not have really think hair so I apply these clips when my hair is dried, after diffusing. I also use a dab of Deva's styling foam to help with volume at the crown. Once you get used to the clips, its really easy. The clips are my my holy grail product.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Myrna wrote: »
    I absolutely swear by Curly Hair Solutions roller jaw clips. ONLY these and no substitutions. There are videos on line as to how to use them; however, I do not have really think hair so I apply these clips when my hair is dried, after diffusing. I also use a dab of Deva's styling foam to help with volume at the crown. Once you get used to the clips, its really easy. The clips are my my holy grail product.

The blond girl who does the clipping video on YouTube has my *dream hair* and she uses the ones you mentioned. She also has about 10 times as much hair as me too though.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    I bought CHS roller jaw clamps myself a few months back but I've yet to figure out how to use them. I was trying to use them on wet hair.
    As Myrna has stated they need to be used on nearly dry hair.
    They are bigger than I expected them to be, and I as well don't have a lot of hair. I have length (BSL) but not thickness.
    I'm still trying to get used to them.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes- upside down styling helps this, especially if your hair is thick and heavy. Even plopping for ten minutes is good. I'm a person who diffuses, but when I've air dried I plop for ten or fifteen mins. Or, alternatively I've used my hair towel to scrunch out the water upside down. That is really helpful.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file