Wavy 3rd day hair experience

ttoosdayttoosday Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So today I tried 3rd day hair.

My 2nd day hair yesterday was decent. I was able to go the whole day at work and all evening til bed with relatively clean and decent waves. I admit, my 2nd day waves were more curly than even my 1st day hair, but they were more frizzy. So with ok results on 2nd day, I thought I'd push my luck.

Ew. While my 3rd day waves turned into legit curls, the frizz is absolutely ridiculous. And omg the smell! My hair smells really musty I guess is the word. It's driving me nuts. Thankfully I have a super strong berry lotion from bath n body works that I smoothed on, because I'm sure other people will be able to smell this!

Both 2nd and 3rd day, I rewetted quite a bit. Applied a tiny bit of product each morning to try to get moisture. I guess even the tiniest bit of product is causing this smell? It doesn't feel producty, but it does feel dry. But I had to put it in a pony tail. And I'm going to try to stay away from everyone today! And I won't be going third say ever again!
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have done third-day hair just because I have a lot of health problems and very little energy, so sometimes I have no choice because I don't get up in time to redo my hair. I know what you mean about the frizz getting ridiculous by day 3--that is me too! My hair might not look that bad otherwise, but the frizz is just too much, and there's no way really to get rid of it (at least for me) without making my hair look greasy. My best friend on day 3 used to be dry shampoo, which I would rub onto my scalp, but I think that dried my hair out over time too. It's tough!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, this doesn't have much to do with your original topic, but one observation: if your hair is curlier as the days go by (unless it's from plopping your hair overnight) you are probably weighing down your hair/pulling out the curl on day one. This happened to me too and when I switched up my routine I got day 1 curls as well as hair that held up for day 3 better. The frizz did get worse with each day but I'd rather that with nice curls than no frizz. Sometimes for bad frizz I'd use a touch of AOMM, maybe even diluted in some water. Others use a 50/50 mixture of water and conditioner that they either smooth into or spray into their hair.

I have to be careful on multiple day hair too. Not from smell (my products are fragrance free or naturally fragranced which helps I think), but because they just build up more easily the more is put on. Especially if there's not enough water. Some products just need soaking wet/freshly washed hair to be used. Maybe you need different refresher products too?

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • ttoosdayttoosday Curl Connoisseur Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I have done third-day hair just because I have a lot of health problems and very little energy, so sometimes I have no choice because I don't get up in time to redo my hair. I know what you mean about the frizz getting ridiculous by day 3--that is me too! My hair might not look that bad otherwise, but the frizz is just too much, and there's no way really to get rid of it (at least for me) without making my hair look greasy. My best friend on day 3 used to be dry shampoo, which I would rub onto my scalp, but I think that dried my hair out over time too. It's tough!

I've never tried dry shampoo. I'd say mainly because I don't mind washing again but ya it can be a real hassle some mornings. Im generally late for work on wash days. The frizz was nuts today, there is just no getting the hairs to reclump! It looked ok right after rewetting but mid morning was the worst.
    CG since 11/2014
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • ttoosdayttoosday Curl Connoisseur Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    naturecat wrote: »
    Okay, this doesn't have much to do with your original topic, but one observation: if your hair is curlier as the days go by (unless it's from plopping your hair overnight) you are probably weighing down your hair/pulling out the curl on day one. This happened to me too and when I switched up my routine I got day 1 curls as well as hair that held up for day 3 better. The frizz did get worse with each day but I'd rather that with nice curls than no frizz. Sometimes for bad frizz I'd use a touch of AOMM, maybe even diluted in some water. Others use a 50/50 mixture of water and conditioner that they either smooth into or spray into their hair.

I have to be careful on multiple day hair too. Not from smell (my products are fragrance free or naturally fragranced which helps I think), but because they just build up more easily the more is put on. Especially if there's not enough water. Some products just need soaking wet/freshly washed hair to be used. Maybe you need different refresher products too?

Interesting what you say about pulling curl out on day one. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I try to keep my routine simple tho. Cowash, and sometimes rinse out, leave in with couple drops of oil and S2C, then a curl enhancer, and hard hold gel. I'd love to simply even further but I'm scared to sacrifice moisturizing products. I typically don't deep condition in the shower unless you count GVP CB for a couple minutes at the rinse out step as a deep treatment. Otherwise maybe I'm using too much gel but i need the frizz control and the hold.

For refresher I try a bottle with water and a pea size of leave in. Or glaze over some diluted leave in with my hand. Might smooth on a few drops of oil for frizz. I don't know, I try do everything people say I should do but ya know, good results are rare.
    CG since 11/2014