Airing a pet peeve...

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So here it is. Why dont hair product manufacturers do market research, and instead of loading their stuff with cones and sulfates, why the bleep dont they, for example, check out what curlies are doing and what we are saying?? this site, for example, is a goldmine of information. Instead, even the salon lines have cones in them, and they proceed to try to sell us with how wonderful they are . I dont get it.

Comments

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thats a good question. My intial thought would be that they wouldn't want to overhaul their formulas and risk losing the market share of consumers who don't know better/don't care/actually like the cones and sulfates.

So you might say, well then why wouldn't they make TWO types of hair care - one for the 'regular' consumer and one for the 'special' consumer. I think that would bring in more revenue, and some lines already do that. But who knows why anyone does the things they do!
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We aren't most people is the problem.

Before I found this site, I didn't know anything about cones or sulfates. I'd go to the store, pick up something with appealing packaging, read the inflated promises and hope that this time, unlike every other time, it would work. Eventually, I was using 13 separate cones on my hair every day. (I counted.) It worked, my hair was frizz free, soft, shiny ... and snapping off from the damage the cones were disguising.

Big companies sell to the masses and the masses don't care or don't know. Smaller companies can't compete with the big companies, so they sell to niche markets like us.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curlyamarylis, I guess you are right. I participate in some silver curly groups on FB, and a very generous number of women have been straightening their hair. Or they see another woman's curls and say "oh mine wont do that", as if mine do what they do right out of the shower with no help! SO many women do not know how to care for their curls. I have been here a long time and it seems like MANY women know how to care for their curly hair, but I think you are right. Yes, silicones are great - for a day or two.
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had no idea I even HAD curls! Now I see women with suspiciously poofy straight hair and I want to tell them they may have curly hair, lol.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
    Honestly, I have no idea. But, one of my current career choices is to be a cosmetic chemist and manufacture hair products (preferably curly hair products!) and if I do, I'm going to make sure they have good ingredients! :)
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, it can get annoying for us curly folk to be so limited in the products we can use and having to order many of them online (not to mention the price). People like me who have chemical sensitivities have even less choice about hair products. But there are a whole ton of more natural/sulfate free/cone free products than there were even a year or two ago. So I'm hoping that in time "alternative" becomes more mainstream (just like happened with music).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm with you, naturecat. When you need to use natural products, there is very little to choose from. Although I will say that in a way I am grateful for that, because I can feel that I've done the best I can with what's available and not worry whether something better can be had down the street at Walgreens.

I think that what you say is so true, Myrna--most of us are straightening our hair because we don't know what to do with it. And let's face it--some people just have really nice hair and could use anything and look good. Those of us who are stuck in the middle, with hair that needs a little help, have to strike out on our own. The salon lines are often abysmal, but some companies are listening. I'm thinking of Shea Moisture with their low- and high-porosity lines.

I wonder too if silicones are a cheap way to create nice-looking hair (although for some of us it's not so nice looking). Maybe it's easier to create a product with silicones than it is to find the right emollients and hydrating ingredients to make hair stay smooth and moisturized.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1, I think you hit the nail on the head. Silicones are in everything cosmetic; shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, foundations, etc. So yea I think they are cheap, accessible and the short cut. I am also peeved that so many cosmetics companies use them in stuff I put on my face, guaranteed to "smooth the skin". yea, with a plastic derivative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file