Product suggestions?

spicecurlspicecurl Posts: 13Registered Users
Hi all,

I live out in the boondocks and am heading to the big city tomorrow. :)

I've been CG for a few months, but need some new shampoo and conditioner. I'd love a few product suggestions for my 2a, low porosity, medium density hair. I prefer "reasonably-priced" products (Matrix for $30 is a bit steep for me.).

Don't need perfect curls, just want to avoid sulphate-silicon cycle. Extra body and air drying are a bonus, maybe focus on curls later.

My hair is a little dry right now (not usual for me, but oil treatments help)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
SpiceCurl

Comments

• JoonlilyJoonlily Posts: 51Registered Users
    Congrats on the move!

I love the Shea Moisture lines, and the Fruit Fusion Weightless tend to be good for low density wavies. The brand is usually easy to find at Target and drug stores, and runs under $10 each,

A lot of people also recommend the Suave Naturals line for cheap low-poo and conditioner. Not all of their lines are CG friendly, so just check the ingredients list before you buy to be sure.

You can also check out Curl Mart- you can filter by hair type, and see which brands have the best reviews before you buy.
    2a canopy, 2c/3a everywhere else
    Medium porosity/density
    Modified CG since 2014

• Low-poo: SM fruit fusion/ SM coconut hibiscus
    • Conditioner: Rotating SM and Deva One Condii
    • LI: SM Curl & style milk
    • Styler/Gel: Cantu curl activator, Deva UDG

• Experimenting with protein and lightweight oils, so far my hair LOVES PROTEIN. (IAGirl Protein treatment)
    • DIY addict

Working on loving my hair, no matter what kind of a day it's having.
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    Oops this might be too late now, but I also recommend the SM Fruit Fusion line. I just recently started using it and my hair loves the shampoo. I really like the mousse too, even though it doesn't have a lot of hold. It doesn't dry my hair out at all, and with subsequent days my hair gets softer and nicer. The waves will fall, starting around my ears by day 2 or 3, but I'll have very little frizz and still a nice amount of body. That's what I really like about this line. My hair has the perfect amount of volume and feels soft and light as a feather instead of heavy and product-y.

I also make sure to smooth in a couple drops of grapeseed oil into my hair before bed each night, and on either day 2 or 3 I will smooth a teensy bit of GVP conditioning balm mixed with some water over my crown to help with frizz there. But I can consistently get 4 good days of leaving my hair down with this line, even though it's a little less curly. That's a first for me.

I also use the Suave coconut as a conditioner and cowash, and the GVP conditioning balm through my ends as a rinse out and as a deep treatment.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • spicecurlspicecurl Posts: 13Registered Users
    Great info! I'll be at Target again this week and will get some Shea Moisture.

For some reason, co-washing with Suave left my hair feeling like straw. I also suspect that too much protein drys out my hair.

I appreciate the sharing here! :)
    I also make sure to smooth in a couple drops of grapeseed oil into my hair before bed each night

Just curious why grapeseed oil?
    It's a relatively lighter oil, and it's one I already had in my house when I decided to start trying this. It works pretty well, so I'm going to stick with it for a while before trying a different one.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
    Would someone mind telling me what these acronyms and/or products are? I'm kind of busy and want to hit the store today if possible. Thanks!

GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, Aussie IF Mousse, LALSG, JF heat defeat
  • cm03cm03 Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    spicecurl wrote: »
    Would someone mind telling me what these acronyms and/or products are? I'm kind of busy and want to hit the store today if possible. Thanks!

GVP CB

GVP CB is from Sally's ,their generic line "Great Value Products, Conditioning balm". it's a knock off of matrix conditioning balm.

AG, Recoil is the name of a gel. Brand is AG. Sold at Ulta and online.

LALSG is LALooks styling gel, super cheap gel, available at Walmart and prob Target and any drugstore.

Aussie IF is Aussie Instant Freeze, also available at any mass merchandise place

DT.... That means deep treatment with coconut oil and the GVP condish balm from above. :)
    Don't know the JF heat defense. Maybe John Frieda??
    You have all been so wonderfully helpful!

I'll get used to the Shea Moisture and then try some gels/products. (I can get away with not styling it for days b/c I work from home.)

My hair varies. Front and front-top are mostly straight and soft. Sides and back thicker and have more curl. Variety is the "spice" of life! :)

Thank you for all the support!

SG
    cm03 wrote: »
    spicecurl wrote: »

GVP CB

GVP CB is from Sally's ,their generic line "Great Value Products, Conditioning balm". it's a knock off of matrix conditioning balm.

AG, Recoil is the name of a gel. Brand is AG. Sold at Ulta and online.

LALSG is LALooks styling gel, super cheap gel, available at Walmart and prob Target and any drugstore.

Aussie IF is Aussie Instant Freeze, also available at any mass merchandise place

DT.... That means deep treatment with coconut oil and the GVP condish balm from above. :)
    Don't know the JF heat defense. Maybe John Frieda??

Oh thank you for doing this. I haven't been here in a few days. Yes all of that is right! Although I stopped using the Aussie Instant Freeze mousse when I got a new one. The one I had was pretty old, and they've since changed the formula. I don't know what it is, but I haven't had the same results since I used up my old one. I'm using the Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion one now, and I'm getting ready to try the Tigi Strong Hold Mousse for Fine to Medium Hair, just for a touch more hold on top of the SM and see what that does.

Thanks again!

Mod CG
    Guess what I found at the Dollar Store like two miles from my house (here in the boondocks)! They carry SM Weightless Shampoo and Cream Rinse! They also carry a bunch of different Aussie products.

I've been using it for about a week. I started with the SM (non-weightless/non-fruit fusion) conditioner b/c that's what Target carried. I don't like the rose smell (I'm outside a lot so bees and bugs)! I just got the weightless cream rinse today and will try it.

Anyway, just had to share that b/c when I first posted I was freaked out b/c I thought I had to go to the "big city" for my products!

New questions about "styling products":
    1. Is Aussie Instant Freeze hair spray CG-approved (ingredients below)?
    2. Any tips on which LALSG is good for 2a? I'd prefer #8 because the others smell very strong to me, but 9 might be bearable. I think too strong of hold will make my hair look stiff and wet.
    Thoughts?

Again, thanks for all the great support!

AUSSIE IF HS:
    Alcohol Denat., Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, Water/Eau, Isobutane, Va/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Fragrance/Parfum, Ammonium Benzoate, Mea-Borate, MJPA-Borate, Polysorbate 80, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file