Tangles in Heat Damaged Hair

Hey everyone!! I have heat damaged (the kind of heat damage that has left my hair dry and frizzy but not straight) hair, mostly 3a. It's just about shoulder length. I've cut out heat and simplified my routine (which I'll include at the end of this), so I mostly just use some light oils and air dry my hair. When my hair is 85-95% dry, it's at its best. It's soft, shiny, and has some ringlets/definition. But as soon as it hits the 100% dry point, it suddenly shrivels up and gets hard and tangly. Then the next morning I inevitably have to either start over or wear it in a ratty bun. Is there any way to avoid the tangly mess? Or is this just gonna happen for the next couple of years until my hair is all grown out? Ahhh. Suggestions welcome.

Routine:
-Co-wash w/ Aussie Moist (in which case I finger detangle in the shower) or Wash/Deep Condition w/ Giovanni products (in which case I pre-poo and detangle w/ coconut or olive oil)
-Apply Carol's Daughter Marula Oil Curl Therapy or Monoi Oil
-Smooth and clump w/ Denman brush
-Air dry
-Smooth and scrunch in a little bit of argan or coconut oil when dry for shine and definition
(Occasionally I'll throw KCKT as a leave in before the oils, but my hair doesn't dry as soft when I do that)

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Assuming I found the condition you're using, it contains Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, which needs to be removed via shampoo (lowpoo would work) and can especially build up in damaged hair. I wonder if that's your problem, or is making the tangling worse. Damaged hair does tangle more than undamaged hair, but this might be making it worse.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • seemenaturalseemenatural Posts: 19Registered Users
    Assuming I found the condition you're using, it contains Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, which needs to be removed via shampoo (lowpoo would work) and can especially build up in damaged hair. I wonder if that's your problem, or is making the tangling worse. Damaged hair does tangle more than undamaged hair, but this might be making it worse.
    Ooooh this is super interesting. I'll play around with this! I shampoo like 2-3x a week, and my hair seems to react well (always soft and shiny afterwards), so maybe that's telling me that I did need to remove the build up. I'll try using a different conditioner w/out that ingredient and seeing if I have different results.

Any recs on inexpensive, good smelling conditioners w/out that ingredient are welcome haha :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file