Guy with crazy curls need help

Hi, im a white guy from Norway who plans to grow out my hair long(not longer than shoulders). Im somewhere around 7-8 cm right now but my hair grows pretty fast. I've done a lot of research so I'm not completely hopeless, but i still desperately need your help.

I've got really dry and frizzy 3abc hair, but mostly b and c I think. My hair is also low porosity, medium to coarse, and medium to high density. I did grow it out once before but it ended up being this poofy, giant afro with my hair sticking straight up, even on the sides.

I would really like long and defined curls that grow down, but it seems i simply can't do it the way i do now. My regimen now is dr organic sulfate free olive oil shampoo and conditioner, and I use the conditioner as a leave in. Use the shampoo about twice a week and conditioner nearly every day. I've heard low porosity hair needs to be washed with hot water is that true?

All in all what i am asking for is help with a complete step to step regimen, with products(that dont smell to feminine or strong) i could use and are available here or online. And I'm a guy so remember that what you pros might think is obvious, might not be for a hopeless guy like me..

Thanks and have a great day! :)

Comments

• MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    First, the basics, Hopelessguy: dont use a terrycloth towel on your hair, use a microfiber one, or an old all cotton tee shirt to blot the water after you wash it. I think most hair is fine being washed in warm water, to your comfort level. But, LP hair does not generally require heavy products, so you might want to experiment with shampoos and conditioners that do not have oils, or that have light oil.

You absolutely cannot brush curls; it makes them bush out. I suspect that is what you have been doing. You need to find a good gel, a lightweight one, probably; or do the "conditioner styling only". There should be a long thread on this on the site. You might also look at the section on Low Porosity hair.
  • JoonlilyJoonlily Posts: 51Registered Users
    In addition to Myrna's great advice, I would recommend checking out some deep treatments to moisturize your hair, in addition to your current sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. you might look for a conditioner that has butters (I like the Shea Moisture line). You can also find some great do-it-yourself recipes in the "recipe" section of this forum, which will generally have ingredients that are easy to find at the grocery store.
    If you haven't already, I'd also recommend checking out the CG Method, and the "squish to condish" technique, which are great basic, step by step routines to start with. You can modify these to suit your needs once you've figured out a little more about how your hair reacts to different types of products and ingredients. Starting with CG and figuring out HOW to get the most moisture in my curls has made all the difference.

This thread has a great list of information to get you started.

Every head of hair is different, so it will take some time, patience, and experimenting to figure out what works best for you. Try to give each method or new product some time and repeated use before deciding if you like it or hate it (ETA- Unless you have an immediate bad reaction to the product, such as itchy scalp, dried out hair, breakage, etc). It can take repeated uses for hair to respond to it's fullest, so try not to expect magical, instant transformations.

Good luck! Let us know how things are going!
    2a canopy, 2c/3a everywhere else
    Medium porosity/density
    Modified CG since 2014

• Low-poo: SM fruit fusion/ SM coconut hibiscus
    • Conditioner: Rotating SM and Deva One Condii
    • LI: SM Curl & style milk
    • Styler/Gel: Cantu curl activator, Deva UDG

• Experimenting with protein and lightweight oils, so far my hair LOVES PROTEIN. (IAGirl Protein treatment)
    • DIY addict

Working on loving my hair, no matter what kind of a day it's having.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file