My natural hair looks liks Slash's hair.

persikorpersikor Registered Users Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
Literally like Slash, can't post links because I'm new here but google him if you don't know.

It's currently permanently straightened, which I like, but my hair is so "weak" now. I'm thinking of maybe going natural, like "what if i like it" but then I remember how much I looked like slash (i mean like identical twins) when I had my curly hair and mmmm better not. I still want to maybe go natural, but does anyone have tips on how to... not look like slash?

I watch all these natural girls with beautiful big hair and get tempted but MY natural hair just sits there, curly and slightly poofy, but most of all LOOKING LIKE SLASH. :(

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
  • eche428eche428 Minneapolis AreaRegistered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree that Slash has phenomenal hair, it just looks like it needs some moisture and TLC.

If you want to be natural you just have to read everything you can here, learn as much about hair and it's chemistry as you can and start looking for a curly twin on this site.

You'd be amazed how your hair will react once you find the right products and processes that work for your hair. Best of luck!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    It's currently permanently straightened

Either grow it out and go CG or cut the chemically treated parts off and go CG once it grows out. This site offers a plethora of information and resources for curly haired people in all stages of their journey.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    What's wrong with Slash's hair? He might need a deep conditioning treatment and a curl cream or gel, but he has nice hair! Which means so do you!
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • persikorpersikor Registered Users Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
    Sry for not answering until now, the thing I hated the most about my hair when I was natural was how big of a hassle it was, it never looked how I wanted it too and in the mornings I could cry because I could never just wake up and have nice hair it was always like a birds nest (I used to brush it while dry sometimes because I didn't really know how to "do my hair"), which is partly why I want to explore it again, and "do my hair" in the right way. But what if it's all to waste :(

My hair grows slowly so if I chop it off and go natural it will look hideous until its past my shoulders, which will take 5+ years :( I'm so used to how nice my hair looks now with no effort I don't know if I can downgrade my appearance for 5+ years just to see if I like my natural hair.. I know for a fact that I can't pull off a TWA, I've had one before and I was so ugly and and I don't want to go back:( ugh i dont know what to do
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    persikor wrote: »
    Sry for not answering until now, the thing I hated the most about my hair when I was natural was how big of a hassle it was, it never looked how I wanted it too and in the mornings I could cry because I could never just wake up and have nice hair it was always like a birds nest (I used to brush it while dry sometimes because I didn't really know how to "do my hair"), which is partly why I want to explore it again, and "do my hair" in the right way. But what if it's all to waste :(

If you find that you simply cannot like or deal with your natural hair, you will have learned that much, and that's not a waste. A waste is never knowing, never trying, never learning.
    persikor wrote: »
    My hair grows slowly so if I chop it off and go natural it will look hideous until its past my shoulders, which will take 5+ years :( I'm so used to how nice my hair looks now with no effort I don't know if I can downgrade my appearance for 5+ years just to see if I like my natural hair.. I know for a fact that I can't pull off a TWA, I've had one before and I was so ugly and and I don't want to go back:( ugh i dont know what to do

I understand. I'm just at the very start of growing out blonde. I'm an inch in and my roots look horrible- dark and greasy all the time. I've got thinning in my haircut (looked great when I was straightening it), so I've got pretty spirals in some places and floofyfrizz in others. Oh, and my hair is getting shorter due to shrinkage.

The weird part is, I'll look in the mirror and see ugly and then a total stranger will ask where I get my hair done. What? Can't you see I'm hideous?

I think we just don't how to see ourselves yet, that's all. We're so used to seeing straight (or blonde, or whatever) hair, that we can't see what's really there. I think it just takes time.

There are ways to bridge the gap between natural and relaxed/damaged hair. People transition for years at a time. You should check out the transitioning boards. You don't have to big chop. That's entirely up to you.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    Thank you #7 that wa actually very helpful! Maybe this was my last perm we'll see, I'll look into those transitioning boards!
    Hi everyone!!!

I just remembered that I had posted this post here a year ago and thought I'd come back and give an update if anyone else ever come across this thread while thinking of going natural.

When I posted this thread I had just had my latest perm and was about to graduate high school, so much have changed since then. From age 10-18 I was so insecure. I am a mixed kid and I grew up with my white side of the family, in a white neighbourhood and always went to white schools, I've only had like 1 black real friend in my entire life except for my brother (also mixed). I never knew why I hated myself and especially my hair so much, I thought it only had to do with the fact that I've been dealing with anxiety and depression since i was about 14, but today I know more. Growing up and being different from literally everyone around you takes a toll on you, even if you don't notice it. I was used to fighting so HARD to fit in with all my (white) friends even though (most) of them didn't pressure me into it or anything (a few ********s that I'm not friends with anymore would make fun of my natural hair saying I look like Slash or someone from Egyptian wall paintings) (link to show what I mean) so I would straighten my hair every single day from age 13 until I decided to perm it and continue doing so when I got regrowth. It was just my way of life, my comfort zone. I never wanted to see my curls.

Today I've gone from the insecure girl I was into a very very confident woman, I love myself and I can't wait to have my curly hair back. I'm a little more than 1 year into my natural hair journey and I can literally feel it strengthening my confidence every time i take a closer look at my circa 13 cm of curls. (5,11 inches for you americans)

I decided to see a black hair dresser for the first time in my life (I'm from Sweden, black hair stylists are not very common here but we're getting there) and she makes her own products. On our first meeting she asked me to be a model for her in exchange for all the free products I need and free service (like doing box braids, which I will try later this summer!!), to show how her products helps me, a transitioner, to grow her hair out. This brand is what EVERYONE in swedish natural hair forums recommend and praise, so I'm super stoked that she wants to help me like this!

I just wanted to thank you all in this thread, you guys are really what made me put my foot down and decide to go natural, for myself. I've learned so much about myself and where many of my insecurities stem from since I posted this thread. I'm literally crying right now I don't know what to say. I love this community and everyone in it, you're all wonderful and beautiful thank you!!
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I'm so glad to hear that you've grown in confidence and love your hair/self and see that you are something of value. Other peoples' remarks are so small in comparison to that. The transformation of your confidence is an inspiration. Awesome about the free products/modeling.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • ayyelucilleayyelucille Registered Users Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
    I think Camille Rose Naturals has become my most trusted brand. I know I can stand by the fact that they use natural ingredients that are helpful to my hair. And since using it I have seen so much transformation in my hair and it's manageability. Check out my latest upload where I review their Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse!

https://youtu.be/Ph_8GLirjbE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file