Joining the Grey Curly Club

curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm 40 and I started going heavily grey at 38. I'm naturally medium brown. My hairdresser suggested highlights to hide the grey but also avoid that skunk stripe along the part you get when you dye your grey hair brown.

Well, turns out bleach isn't the best idea for fine, thin curls, so I think my only option is to accept going grey. I've seen some absolutely lovely grey curls on this site, so I'm hoping I'll eventually like it. I'm biting the bullet and growing it out. I'm already growing out heat and bleach damage, so why not grey, too?

Anyway, I hope there's room for one more in the Grey Curly Club!
CG since May 1, 2016
3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
at home gelatin PT
Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    when i transitioned out of coloring my hair, lowlights were suggested. i did not get them as i realized they would oxidize, fade, etc., and each time i'd get more it would never be the exact same hairs and it would end up looking like patchwork......
    i think you did the right thing. bleach is hard on any hair and probably worse on fine hair as it is really fragile. it's easier to stop coloring now as you are probably more salt and pepper than gray. we'll support you on your journey!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you! You have such pretty hair, it really inspired me to try my grey out.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I had two lots of highlights put through my hair last year, two months apart, to minimise the very obvious demarcation line I had, from years of dyeing. It looked so much better at the time but 10 months down the track the only dye left is those highlights and they're really bright and orangey looking (to me anyway!) and I hate it. That said, I couldn't say I regret having them as at the time they really did help, it's just now I think it'd all be done by now if I hadn't had them. I think there's no easy way through it tbh, pro's and con's whatever we decide.
    Anyway, welcome to the club, I hope your journey is as painless as it can be.
    3b in South Australia.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you! You have such pretty hair, it really inspired me to try my grey out.

thanks!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • waimeawahinewaimeawahine Posts: 8Registered Users
    I used to get some compliments on my curls. I have worn my hair curly almost all of my life. I hennaed for a while after the greys showed up and got tired of it. It was way back (10 -15 years ago?) that I learned how to take care of my curls. My mother who was Caucasian, and who turned silver at 16, did not really know what to do with our hair except braid it, and that was not really so bad. We never used hot combs on our hair, but what you are NOT doing does not make healthy hair. It's also about what you DO. I get compliments on my grey hair all the time, from perfect strangers, women who admire me for letting my hair go silver. I love my hair this way. It's naturally highlighted in the most wonderful patterns. The silver accentuates the curls. Okay, I'm a curl product junkie, but my faves are Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture, Camille Rose, and Kinky Curly. I do not really have bad hair days. My hair is fine and not dense, so I can make the products last a long time. I wish these websites, products and forums had been around when I was younger, but it's so wonderful that girls are growing up loving their amazing hair! I am so GladtobeGrey.
  • BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm 40 and I started going heavily grey at 38. I'm naturally medium brown. My hairdresser suggested highlights to hide the grey but also avoid that skunk stripe along the part you get when you dye your grey hair brown.

Well, turns out bleach isn't the best idea for fine, thin curls, so I think my only option is to accept going grey. I've seen some absolutely lovely grey curls on this site, so I'm hoping I'll eventually like it. I'm biting the bullet and growing it out. I'm already growing out heat and bleach damage, so why not grey, too?

Anyway, I hope there's room for one more in the Grey Curly Club!
    Yes My hairdresser is also suggesting highlights for me, too, but as you stated highlights are very damaging for fine hair. I used to highlight and my hair was more damaged then than now.
    My hair is fine, thin and fragile and for now I'm using a demipermanent in my natural medium brown to cover the greys. It looks fairly natural as it grows out and fades, but eventually I'd like to just let the grey come in.
    I hear if you can get past the first few inches, it's a lot easier.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file