Shea Moisture JBCO Line

JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I recently purchased some products from the SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil line, and wanted to let you guys know what I thought of it!

For starters/comparison, my hair is 3c/3b, multicultural, high porosity, high density and colored (blonde). Moisture is beyond being a necessity for my hair!

1. SM JBCO Hair Masque

I found this at Target, and bought the sample packet for $2.99. It had more than enough product for all of my hair (even with me having so much). I was skeptical, as I've been breezing through deep conditioners lately with no luck at all. This pleasantly surprised me.

This was my first 'whiff', if you will, of the line's scent. I sniffed a jar at the store (sounds creepier than I had hoped), as always. If I don't like the smell, it stays right on that shelf. It passed my sniff test, with a 3/5. It smells like vanilla bean play-doh, which is okay I suppose. It spread fairly easily over my hair with water, and has a thick but smooth consistency (slightly chunky looking though, but still spreads smooth with no leftover chunks or bits).

It moisturized my hair beyond what I could have hoped for, leaving my curls looking so defined after rinsing it out, you'd never believe I had no product in! My curls were also soft and shiny, and both my sister and I noticed my color seemed to pop more (A+, as I'd recently used a product that made my color fade a bit, so I was anxious to see how this would handle my color, and it did just fine). Overall I was very pleased, and will be purchasing the full sized jar for continued use!

2. SM JBCO Conditioner (Rinse-out)

This was very lightweight, so I expected to be disappointed; I was not! I used maybe a palmful for my lion's mane, and that did the trick! Half a palm for each half of my hair, and both sides were somehow fully coated and nicely moisturized after I'd left this in for about 2-3 minutes or so. It had fair slip, and I was able to detangle my hair with little fuss (and my hair is the type that tangles right back up as soon as you comb through, so that is a plus).

I did not want to rinse this out. I have always left my conditioners in, since day 1 of going curly, so I was very anxious to 'let it go' (let it goooo...), but I did. And to my relief, my hair was still nicely moisturized and defined even once it was out (just like the hair masque).

For such a small bottle, I have to say, a little does go fairly far, so I won't be needing to purchase another for some time. I'm impressed.

3. SM JBCO Leave-in Conditioner

The size of the jar made up for the light consistency I observed in the store, and that was initially why I bought it. As with the conditioner, I was expecting to have to use a ton to get good results. It is creamy, but will 'pour' out of the jar if you tip it, to give an idea of the consistency. After rinsing out my conditioner, I raked a generous portion of this through my curls and scrunched in some of the gel. I then plopped with a tee for about 30 minutes to let the products soak in before diffusing. My hair was beautifully defined, bouncy and shiny, with a little crunch that easily scrunched out. Given the crunch, I've decided to use a little less of this next time. Overall, I was *very* pleased!

4. SM JBCO Conditioning Shine Gel

This is crazy runny! I kind of dislike how it so easily pours out of the tube, but I'm wary now to slowly tip into my hand to get the right amount. If you squeeze, use VERY light pressure!

For such a watery consistency, it has great hold. Again, I got some crunch, and just from using literally a quarter-sized amount (though I also suspect the leave-in to have a little hold too). I don't know if I recall this having as strong a scent as the other products from the line or not. With that consistency and the size of the tube, this could easily last quite a long time. However, if the leave-in has the hold I'm sensing it has, I might only use this in the summer/warmer months for that extra hold to protect from humidity.

***Major notice: This line is protein PACKED! My hair loves protein, so it worked like a charm, but I know a lot of curlies on here are protein-sensitive, so if you are, beware! This was made for damaged, dry, or color-treated hair, so it has tons of protein to strengthen strands that [will likely] leave fine curls limp and stringy.

But for colored, damaged, or just super thirsty curls, this is a definite go! The line gets 4.5/5 stars from me, losing half a star for the odd, but acceptable smell.

I was put off by the *very* heavy Coconut & Hibiscus line, but this one is a godsend! :angel9:
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• MliesaMliesa Posts: 21Registered Users
    I also tried the rinse out conditioner and was pleasantly surprised with the slip. It is a great conditioner!
    3a, lightened color, medium/coarse high porosity
    Co-Wash: Andrelon Pure line, Inecto Coconut
    Cleanser: Curl Junkie Daily Fix, Shea Moisture raw shea butter shampoo
    Conditioner: Curl Junkie Argan & Olive oi, EO Keratin conditioner
    Deep Treatment: CURLS Ecstasy, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, CJ Repair me
    Leave in: KCKT
    Styler: CJ Coconut Coffee Curl Creme, KCCC, JC Spiraliscious, Curl Keeper

Love pre-poos with mix off different oils and adding honey to my conditioners
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was given full sizes of the deep conditioning mask and the leave in at a natural hair event. Had to be free because it's not something I would buy because of the protein. I was tempted not to try it but was surprised the mask was tolerable. Still I won't repurchase it. The leave in was intolerable. I don't like the smell and my hair felt kind of strawlike. I gave it away. I like JBCO but I have yet to find a product with it in there that I like.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    Addee wrote: »
    I was given full sizes of the deep conditioning mask and the leave in at a natural hair event. Had to be free because it's not something I would buy because of the protein. I was tempted not to try it but was surprised the mask was tolerable. Still I won't repurchase it. The leave in was intolerable. I don't like the smell and my hair felt kind of strawlike. I gave it away. I like JBCO but I have yet to find a product with it in there that I like.
    Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the smell.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @Addee and @Curlista93, I totally understand!

That's why I made sure to mention the high protein content, because I know for some curlies, it's a deal breaker! The smell is also something that I wasn't entirely fond of, but when I switched my gel, it went away, so I decided I could handle it :laughing9: But I know for others, it's a no-go.

A lot of people seem to like the Suave Coconut Conditioner, but to me, the smell is so soapy and alcohol-like that I can literally never use it again. But hey - preferences!

That's why I also always sniff, sniff, sniff before buying! I've purchased things before that I later hated the smell of and had to stop using [Suave Coconut Condish, Aussie Moist, etc.]. Smell is important too because some products have a scent that *lingers* (like the Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Complex line), and it sucks to be stuck with a smell you can't stand in your hair! :thumbdown:
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yeah, I understand. I would stop using a product due to smell, it's just too important lol! I used to love the smell of Suave Coconut but now for some reason I don't. I doesn't smell like alcohol to me just very artificial. V05 Coconut smells the exact same way as the Suave one.

I think my favorite scent is that of Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Styling Milk. I swear I LOVE that smell. I will buy it just for that.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been trying out the leave in condish and I like it so far. The smell is not my fave (some weird underlying smell that I don't like), but I can still use it. I like other Shea moisture lines better for smell. But anyways the effectiveness is pretty good so far for me.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • sarahisarahi Posts: 55Registered Users
    I actually really like the smell of this line. I tried to use the Leave in Conditioner, but I felt it didn't really work for the length of my hair. However, I love using it on my edges and baby hairs when I do any sort of up-do. It works amazing for that on me.

I also use the sulfate free shampoo to clarify and find that it works really well, and I love the deep conditioner, but so far I have really loved all of SheaMoistures deep conditioners.
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also open and smell before buying. I have had to return or toss products because smells give me headaches. Cream of Nature Argon smells like they dumped an entire bottle of perfume in it. I couldn't do it. Back to Sally's.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just jumping in to say I adore the shampoo from this line! I may even prefer it to the SM C&H one, which has been my staple for yeeeeears
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love the shampoo also. Perfect for my hair. I have not tried the styling gel; I would like to read reviews on it...
  • Katelyn.RobiKatelyn.Robi Posts: 3Registered Users
    I have been using the leave in for about a year since I started my natural hair journey and it just makes my curls look so great. Even better than the coconut and hibiscus milk. I really wanted my leave in to be very natural and healing, and this did exactly that by making my curls look absolutely amazing while strengthening with the castor oil. The smell is weird though; I wore it the first day to class and it lingered and actually started to irritate me, which is super rare for me. It just smelled too playdohy. I added a few drops of essential oil and it solved the problem quick.

I also have been using the edge growth gel just for a few weeks now since I recently started getting into braids. My edges are healthy, I just needed an edge control but wanted it to be more natural in ingredients. The texture was so weird, it was jelly that was too dense to swipe up with your fingers, if that makes sense. Like very dense jello. The smell was also a little off as well, same as the leave in. I had to microwave/mix the gel up to get a better consistency and add a drop of essential oil to change the scent. I really like this edge control, but it certainly isn't a super hard hold though.

Overall I still really like this line. The main thing is the scent, but I believe it's such an easy fix that it doesn't really matter. The benefits of the ingredients really make up for it.
  • ElisagoncalvesElisagoncalves Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hello are you looking to swap products??? I'm looking for deva curl products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file