curl definition problem + frizz

jewelsfromabovejewelsfromabove Posts: 14Registered Users
Hey all!

I decided to open a topic, hoping to receive some helpful information.

Problem: my hair seems to be easily weighed down, I am loosing curl definition within a hour or two. I have some build up sometimes, but it feels so strange! My hair seems to be twice as thick and feels like a strand of 4c hair.

Hair properties:
Type 2b-ish
Porosity: medium / high (low at roots)
Density: medium/high
strand thickness: fine/medium
Highlights went wrong so had to dye it again...
curlSYS cut 1.5 weeks ago

Routine/products:
CG for 8 months, using a low poo method (yes to cucumber). Washing my hair probably 2-3 times a week. My scalp loves the Giovanni tea tree conditioner.
I sometimes use the As I Am cowash but it makes my scalp itch so I only use it at the lengths.
After washing and conditioning my hair I scrunch with a tshirt. Add a leave in - Giovanni leave in
Then I use a lot of stuff, some tiny twirls daily styler, eco styler, a regular gel....

Tiny twirls
Shea moisture three utilities gel mousse
Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl & style milk (diluted)

Dislikes
eco styler gel - doesn't do much
giovanni hard hold gel - stringy
aunt jackie flaxseed gel - still in doubt tho

I live in Holland so I don't have excess of all USA brands.

Today however.... a strand came loose and fell on my work desk... the strand was completely spiraled into a 3b curl!! How can this happen? Photo attached!
I attached some photos including my hair today 2nd day hair!

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If your hair is mostly fine and porous, buildup and feeling as though it's weighed down is a common problem. A lot of "finees" use the occasional sulfate or diluted sulfate shampoo for just that reason. As your hair is long, you might want to try just cowashing from the ears down, and using a loo-poo or sulfate poo dilution on your scalp. That may help.

As you did say you colored and were medium to high porosity, you might also want to look into products that contain protein. My hair is very porous and without protein, it would be very sad. There's a gelatin recipe a lot of curlies use (Google science-y hair blog for it and lots of other useful info.) as a deep conditioning treatment.

As far as your "3b curl" goes, it is not unusual for one's hair to get curlier using the CG methods. The first time I did a protein treatment, I was shocked to see both spirals and root curl. I just thought my hair was a little wavy!! It's a fun, occasionally frustrating, fascinating personal journey. Good luck!
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I 2nd all beindeb's advice. You may want to also try using a more diluted gelatin recipe as your gel. I used this for a long time and loved it (still do use it). It was the only gel that didn't weigh down my hair back when I relied mostly on gel to style.

My shed hairs tend to be much more curly in general. I think partly because the weight is taken off of them, and also because my haircut currently inhibits curl--too many lengths and layers. And your curl pattern will tighten over time often on the CG method. Sometimes there's just a random section of hair with much tighter curl than the rest of your head. Curls are so mysterious.

Another thing you may want to consider is styling with volume foams or mousses. This made a huge difference for me as a fine wavy-whirly. Less weight on the hair, and allows for more curl. You can put gel under or over the foam/mousse for added definition and hold. Personally I use gelatin gel (just a tiny bit), then volume foam, and then all natural hairspray on top while my hair is still wet for added hold. So using a hairspray as a gel can definitely help prevent getting weighed down as it would by using a gel.

Do you diffuse? That also helps shorten drying time, which in turn means less curl is pulled out (less water weight on the hair for less time).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • jewelsfromabovejewelsfromabove Posts: 14Registered Users
    Thanks! That was very useful! I will have a look on gelatin gel - never heard of it before.

How often are you doing a deep condition treatment on your hair? My hairdresser told me to do that more often.

I do diffuse otherwise my hair stays wet forever and it looks a bit sad haha. I use medium heat and low blowing setting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file