Question about shedding

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
Last summer I cut my hair shorter to speed up the growing out process. The dye is pretty much all gone now and my hair began to feel thicker and healthier with hardly any shedding. So, I started letting it grow a bit because I don't really like short hair on me. This morning for the first time in a long time, I found that I shed a bit while co washing it. Now I'm leary of growing it longer. Anyone else find this?
Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    For me, the longer my hair is, the more it SEEMS to shed, but I don't think it really is more. It's just more hair in general due to the length (one 6 inch piece of hair seems like a lot more than one 2 inch piece of hair). And also, the longer it gets the more easily the naturally shedding hairs get caught in my other hair (instead of just falling to the ground unnoticed) so when I wash and detangle my hair it seems like a lot of shedding hair! (I hope that made sense)
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, Jeep, that makes sense. And it's relieving, too. I didn't really want to keep shorter gray hair. I want to see what the curl pattern looks like longer and I sort of want to buck tradition and have long gray hair. Thank you.
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Gels-LA Looks Sport

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    So here is my hair ball after I don't wash my hair for a few days and just wear it in a braid, then do a good detangling. It always scares me how much hair it is but it's been like that forever. When I had 2 big sheds a few years ago it was twice that much and more. THAT was scary!!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find that I definitely shed more when I cowash, so I do not co wash. I have recently switched to Shea Moisture's Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo, and not only am I shedding less, my hair loves it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, Myrna and Jeep. I do co wash, but I am still trying to get rid of the effects of that Pantene shampoo so I use shampoo now and then. I also have to remember than since I don't use a brush, which would remove any loose hair, that it's logical that it would come out in the wash. :)
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Gels-LA Looks Sport

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights