Can someone PLEASE tell me my hair type?

ladylala197ladylala197 Registered Users Posts: 3
My friend said I'm in the 3s but I don't really see it because my hair isn't as curly as the girls I saw in some youtube tutorials for type 3 hair...Here is what it looks like while wet:
Screenshot_2016-06-08-21-26-39.jpg

This is after I let it air dry for about 20-25 minutes 2016-06-08 21.30.36.jpg

I've been getting my hair flat ironed maybe once a month for the past 6 years or so. My original curl pattern must have been lost at some point. I've only been natural for a month but I did notice that while the first week or so my hair was extremely dry and I had to moisturize it multiple times a day, it's now much more oily. I forgot to put coconut oil in it today by accident and it was fine except for my edges which are always dry (no soft silky baby hair on this head)...

Anyway...please help!!!

Comments

• JoonlilyJoonlily Registered Users Posts: 51
    I'd agree that you are in the 3s, close to a 3C. You might find your curl type starts to change the longer you are natural! It takes quite a while for your natural curl pattern to re-emerge after straightening for a long time, but it will get there.

What's your current routine? How often do you wash/deep condition, what kinds of products do you use? That will help us get a better idea of what to suggest that might best suit your hair (because everyone's hair has different needs).

This has been the most helpful thread for me since I started using this forum: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/47564-useful-curly-links.html

Welcome to the club! This is a great group of people with LOTS of great advice to share.
    2a canopy, 2c/3a everywhere else
    Medium porosity/density
    Modified CG since 2014

• Low-poo: SM fruit fusion/ SM coconut hibiscus
    • Conditioner: Rotating SM and Deva One Condii
    • LI: SM Curl & style milk
    • Styler/Gel: Cantu curl activator, Deva UDG

• Experimenting with protein and lightweight oils, so far my hair LOVES PROTEIN. (IAGirl Protein treatment)
    • DIY addict

Working on loving my hair, no matter what kind of a day it's having.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Joonlily had excellent advice. Joon - you took the words right out of my mouth :compress:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    My friend said I'm in the 3s but I don't really see it because my hair isn't as curly as the girls I saw in some youtube tutorials for type 3 hair...Here is what it looks like while wet:
    Screenshot_2016-06-08-21-26-39.jpg

This is after I let it air dry for about 20-25 minutes 2016-06-08 21.30.36.jpg

I've been getting my hair flat ironed maybe once a month for the past 6 years or so. My original curl pattern must have been lost at some point. I've only been natural for a month but I did notice that while the first week or so my hair was extremely dry and I had to moisturize it multiple times a day, it's now much more oily. I forgot to put coconut oil in it today by accident and it was fine except for my edges which are always dry (no soft silky baby hair on this head)...

Anyway...please help!!!
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Joonlily had excellent advice. Joon - you took the words right out of my mouth :compress:

Thanks curlypearl! I think we've all been there when we start making the transition, it's so confusing and overwhelming.
    Medium porosity/density
    Modified CG since 2014

• Experimenting with protein and lightweight oils, so far my hair LOVES PROTEIN. (IAGirl Protein treatment)
    • DIY addict

• ladylala197ladylala197 Registered Users Posts: 3
    I wash my hair every 6-10 days with regular shampoo and Cantu leave-in conditioner. I do a twist out every 3-4 days and I use Cantu coconut curling cream for that. To keep my hair from getting too dry I usually put coconut oil in it every other day. I'm new to this so I have no idea if this is a good routine or not!
    That's a great routine, and there's lots of information here about doing twist outs and other styles if you want to mix it up.

I would also add a regular conditioner to your wash day routine in addition to your leave in. Your hair will need lots of extra moisture while it transitions. A lot of people recommend Suave Naturals Coconut, since it's cheap and easy to find.

You can try the "Squish to condish" method for conditioning your hair on wash day: Squish to Condish: The Curl-Enhancing Technique You Need to Try Today

A lot of people also decide to stop using products with sulfates, since these can strip your hair of it's natural oils and make it more dry. If you want something that will still lather and help remove buildup, you can try a low-poo shampoo like the Shea Moisture line (you can find it at Target).

Others opt for co-washing, which is basically washing your hair with conditioner. You can try either or both and see how it makes your hair feel.

You'll also find a lot of information here about porosity, and protein-moisture balance. Every head of hair is different, so it will take some time to figure out what works for you!

A lot of people here use the Curly Girl method, and you can usually find a copy of the book by Lorraine Massey at the library or on Kindle. It's a great basic guide for figuring out where to start with your hair, and then you can modify from there to find what methods work for you.

I hope that helps! Let us know how things are going :compress:
    Medium porosity/density
    Modified CG since 2014

• DIY addict

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file