Confused what porosity I am

Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Posts: 23Registered Users
I've come to the realization I might be wrong about my porosity and figured I would post here as I think I'm actually "high" porosity and not low. Here's some characteristics about my hair:

1. Takes roughly 3-4 hours to fully dry, that's WITH products like a leave-in conditioner and gel.

2. Is very dry with lots of flyaways around the crown of my head.

3. Does not like shea butter or heavy oils as it makes hair weighed down and oily looking.

4. Will suck up the moisture in the air when it's very humid. My hair will literally poof out and become extremely frizzy.

5. Notice a lot of breakage when washing my air or scrunching in products.

I used to blow-dry my hair religiously and dyed it quite a bit before I let my hair do it's own thing again. I'm wondering if all that heat and/or chemicals really damaged my hair. Hoping someone on here can give me some good advice in terms of what porosity my hair could be and any products I could use that won't weigh my hair down :)

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you think your hair is damaged, you could try a conditioner with protein in it, probably some kind of hydrolyzed protein that will be able to penetrate the hair. That was what gave me the most improvement in my porosity issues and breakage. You may need to try a few different types of protein before one works well for you. I tried several until I found one that helped.

For protecting against the "poof factor," I had luck with using a thick texturizer, as crazy as it sounds (I have very fine hair). I used one from InnerSense called Whipped Creme Texturizer. It has some heavy stuff in it, but I seem to do OK as long as I use it on wet hair and don't use too much. But my hair doesn't mind butters; maybe your hair wouldn't like it. (My hair cannot handle liquid oils as sealers.)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am going to bounce this as this is a similar problem to mine.

I need a moisturizing quencher that helps with frizz and dryness on day 2-3 wash and go.

Not sure of porosity. Seems to be a mix.

I have tried some protein treatments... HAY HAIR!!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file