clumps are all transparent

mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My daughter has like 2a/2b hair and way more hair than I do. I have 2c and low/normal density. What I notice is that all my clumps are transparent, like all the hairs don't stick together, while hers (obviously she has double the hair I do) but still all her clumps are not transparent. Is it a sign my hair needs more love/care or is it just because i have less hair, or do you all experience this??
2c
Medium texture
Normal porosity
Normal elasticity
can get weighed down with lots of oils
Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
Gel: Kiss my face gel
DT:Jessicurl
Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go

Comments

• MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would try a heavier leave-in, you've got a lot of frizz going on. I use Alaffia Beautiful Curls and a little goes a long way for me as I have low porosity hair. At this point it's the only styler I need, but I have wonderful clumping. When my hair looked more like yours (because I went through a phase where I couldn't get clumps at all), it was because I was using too harsh of products on my hair to wash it (even some conditioners are harsh) and I was washing too often, so it was removing too much of my natural oil that helps eliminate frizz and encourage hair clumping. There really is a balance between how much sebum you need and how much you need to wash away... And I do think that once someone achieves that balance the rest is really simple.

I now wash every 2nd or 3rd day with MBCC for curly hair and it's done wonders. If I were you I'd drop the rinse out conditioner if you're already using a conditioner as a co-wash, and ensure you leave the co-wash in for 3-5 minutes before rinsing it very thoroughly. Then apply a leave-in and your gel (or whatever product you use for hold) to your sopping wet hair IN the shower. Then t-shirt or microfiber towel and plop it for at least 15 minutes, then let it air dry to 100% dry without touching it. I would suspect though that either your co-wash/shampoo/low-poo/whatever as well as the rinse-out conditioner are the culprits. I've been through about 200 different brands/products over the last 5 years that I've been on and off CG method, so there was a lot of trial and error at the expense of my bank account.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for your time. and your response. I have not changed low poos, and the only thing I've changed is my rinse out conditioner because I was using Tresemmes naturals and that got changed out for the coconut conditioner, maybe my hair doesn't like it. I never use product, in fact that was virgin hair, no product, but compared to my daughters' virgin hair, mine is always more transparent. I do wash more than she does because I work out, maybe that's the problem. OR maybe I really need a leave in and she doesn't. who knows. thanks
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You could try oiling your hair before washing it. I think that the reason your clumps are not smooth is because of the frizz, as Mei pointed out. Doing an oil pre-poo might help with that. I would leave the oil on for several hours before washing.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    ok thanks
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's sound advice. And also, can't remember if I mentioned this in the past (I have the same issues with gel weighing down my hair and shrinking the density) but volume foams have been great for my hair. They help with definition, hold and volume. They don't make me look like I have less hair whatsoever… in fact they make me look like I have more!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    so transparent clumps=an issue with frizz, not a density issue. . . .any recs on foam mousses??? And I will try oiling before showering??
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me, I use primarily Sweet Curls Elixirs Volume Foam with added PVP and now experimenting with John Masters Volume Foam (that one seems to help cut down my frizz). The JM I need to only use a little or it builds up, but it is ultra light in my hair, the only product ever that doesn't weigh my hair down and it distributes easily. It defines my hair. SCE Volume foam adds sooooo much volume and also when I diffuse it really enhances my curl like crazy, and is especially great on 2nd day hair. I just add water and the foam and I get better 2nd and 3rd day hair than first! I'm not sure it helps frizz for me but it does more benefit than any other product I've tried so far.
    I use all natural products, so I don't have as many recs as others would. I know some on here use HE mousses, LP mousse (though that one I found heavier in the hair) and there's also TIGI Catwalk mousses (or something like that?). On the chemical light end, I've found (but don't really use) AG foam, Giovanni foam, and North American Hemp Co Volume Foam. Still others have used Tresemme perfectly undone sea foam. I can't say for sure which of those does what, but lots of wavies seem to use them.
    Anyway hopefully you can find a foam/mousse that helps with definition.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file