2B-jojoba oil too heavy?

ttoosdayttoosday Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've been playing around with jojoba oil, sealing with it. I have noticed that on wash day my hair feels dry and rough after it is fully dried (I diffuse most of the way and air dry the last 10-15%). After probably 12 hours of dry feeling hair, it will start to feel a little softer. For the first time ever, a product has actually helped with softness more than 1 time.

I assume it's the jojoba oil really starting to work...could be wrong tho. Anyways, around about the time my hair starts feeling a little softer, it's like it automatically gets oily feeling and looking. However no oily residue comes off on my hands or clothes. It just looks really oily. And feels oily, but again, it's not really, it's softer kind of. And on day 2, the curls will be almost gone on the crown, it will almost be straight all the way to the tops of my ears, and then the wave will start. Is that the jojoba weighing me down? I've used one drop of oil and I've used several drops and the result is usually the same.

I've never been weighed down before, I don't know what being weighed down looks or feels like. Should I switch oils?
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• rbbrbb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    jojoba is good for sealing but it does not penetrate the hair cuticle at all. here is a great link for oils, i would suggest a lighter one to start with, like apricot kernel or grape seed. my hair hates all oils, but likes butter products. everyone's hair is different.

Science-y Hair Blog: Oils – Which Ones Soak In vs. Coat the Hair?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • ttoosdayttoosday Curl Connoisseur Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't seem to have much luck with grapeseed. I can go back to it and try it again. And I have Argan that I haven't tried yet. I'm liking the bit of softness....but I can't be having the oily look. It looks like and behaves like I haven't washed in a week.
    CG since 11/2014
  • naturecatnaturecat Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, jojoba had that effect on my hair too (though I was much lower porosity back then). Oils in a well formulated product are okay but by themselves are too powerful for my hair and will grease it up/pull out curl.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Well, poo. I wonder if it would it make a difference if I mixed it in with my leave in versus applying directly. And I wonder if that would interfere with my squish to condish.
    CG since 11/2014
  • Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have difficulty with applying oils also. I always get the same result: greasy-looking hair, not matter how little I use. I would try mixing in with your leave-in to see if that helps. I would also try other oils, since jojoba doesn't penetrate the hair shaft, as rbb pointed out. Out of all the oils that I've tried, argan was probably the best.

Now that I've said that, I am remembering that this last winter, I did apply a little bit of argan oil (1/2 pump) to my dry hair before pineappling for the night, and that seemed to help with my dry winter hair. It didn't make my hair oily. I suspect that it would make my hair greasy in the summer, though.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I wanted jojoba for the reason that it doesn't penetrate. I am not even against sealing with mineral oil. In fact, the softest my hair has ever been was after using a mousse with mineral oil and petrolatum. Mineral oil alone didn't work though. It didn't have this aftereffect like jojoba, but it didn't soften either. I am battling frizz and getting to my absolute wits end. I'm trying to find something to control it and all I read is that frizz is caused by lack of moisture. Which, I have had dry hair since day one and somehow that I cannot comprehend, nothing seems to be hydrating enough. I hoped that the jojoba would do the trick by sealing and not penetrating. I'd say my frizz is maybe affected less than 10% by sealing with it. But the bit of softness is encouraging and motivates me to keep trying. I'll try to mix it in with my leave in to see if that makes a difference. If not, I'm going try the Argan. Im going to start adding more protein. And if none of that works, I'm going back to silicones and I don't care who knows it!
    CG since 11/2014
  • Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    There are some people on here who use silicones. I experiment with them sometimes. I do think it's nice to go without for a while to see what your natural hair is like. Then you can add them back in and realize more of what they are doing for your hair. So no need to be embarrassed if you want to go back to silicones. :)

Did you ever try an oil pre-poo?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Well, sometimes. I have some confusion about whether oil pre poos would be too much oil if I'm using oil to seal plus any oils in my cowash and leave in.
    CG since 11/2014