Frizzy hair!!! Why, God? WHY?!

Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Posts: 74Registered Users
Not thinking, I tried a sample packet of conditioner my mom gave me. It was the Ion Repair Effective Treatment daily conditioner. I was out of what I normally use, so I blindly grabbed it. I only used it once.

From what I understand, after the fact, it's a PROTEIN treatment. Me and protein don't mix. Much like shampoo, it dries my hair out. I left it in for no more than ten minutes. Note, I don't ever apply heat or process my hair. But my hair has had frizz issues ever since (2 weeks). I even noticed some looser strands of hair! 3c/3b to 2b. No clumps, by any means. It's in the frizz and I can see them sticking out at the ends of my hair. Overall, it looks fairly minor to everyone else, but it's obvious to me.

It's still moisturized, although somewhat less than it usually is. The elasticity is fine. My curls have torque. There's no breakage occurring. So what gives? Has this happened to anyone else? An employee at Sally's told me I didn't need the product and it was likely too strong for my hair. She advised to just keep cowashing and moisturizing my hair; the frizz and loosened curls should return to normal in time. Is she right? Will this resolve itself in time or am I just SOL? "I can't even" right now. lol :cry:

62868c19a7aac9d53079e9ccba15fca0.gif

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hey :) .

i think over time , it should go back if avoid that product. my hair is very protein-sensitive too
  • Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Posts: 74Registered Users
    hey :) .

i think over time , it should go back if avoid that product. my hair is very protein-sensitive too

I sure hope so! This is a first for me. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :clock:
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    It should return back to normal. Sometimes with protein treatments you just have to wait it out. Keep moisturizing.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that it should go back to normal. You could also try adding some oil to your deep conditioning treatments--that might help them be even more effective.

One thing to consider: I have found that when my hair gets overdosed on protein, it is much more likely to accumulate buildup. You may want to clarify if you suspect you have buildup.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I agree that it should go back to normal. You could also try adding some oil to your deep conditioning treatments--that might help them be even more effective.

One thing to consider: I have found that when my hair gets overdosed on protein, it is much more likely to accumulate buildup. You may want to clarify if you suspect you have buildup.

I'll definitely have to try that. Do you have a shampoo you would suggest for clarifying? I have a cleansing cowash, but I could use a more effective shampoo.
    Curlista93 wrote: »
    It should return back to normal. Sometimes with protein treatments you just have to wait it out. Keep moisturizing.

That's reassuring! I'll definitely keep trying that. I read you can overdo it on conditioning too. News to me. So I'll try not to go too crazy with it.
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    ... I read you can overdo it on conditioning too. News to me. So I'll try not to go too crazy with it.
    I have never been able to overdo the conditioner with my low-porosity, protein-sensitive hair! I had a bad experience with coconut ingredients and it took at least a month to lose the crunchy straw texture that resulted.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    Curlista93 wrote: »

That's reassuring! I'll definitely keep trying that. I read you can overdo it on conditioning too. News to me. So I'll try not to go too crazy with it.
    Yup if your hair starts to feel mushy, limp, and weak then you've more than likely overconditioned.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file