Giovanni Direct Leave In. Fake?

Miss_CMiss_C Posts: 22Registered Users
I ordered what i assumed was one bottle from amazon. £7.99 it cost me which i thought was hefty, but after finding it listed as one of the top CG products i thought i'd give it a try.
Three bottles were sent to me, so i was more than happy with my purchase.
However, i then looked at the ingredients. I don't fully understand them, but i have noticed the ingredients to this leave in is different from one bottle to the next...according to google.

Could someone please tell me if this leave in is actually ok, please?
I also read that although this is classed as a leave in conditioner, apparently there is no conditioner in it (google again).

The ingredients are:
Aqua (purified water), Cetyl alcohol, Tocopherol (vitamin e), Pathenol (pro-vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Natural fragrances, Citrus grandis *helianthus annus (sunflower) seed oil, *Glycine soja (soyabean) seed extract, *Betula aiba extract, *Malva sylvestris (marlow) extract, *Archillea millefolium extract, *Chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, *Equisetum arvense extract, *Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) leaf extract, ....a few more extracts (my eyes can't take anymore :lol:

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    These are the same ingredients listed on the back of my bottle. This is a perfectly fine leave-in conditioner to use. I have no idea why someone would say that there are no conditioning agents in it.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ThaaThaa Posts: 7Registered Users
    Miss_C wrote: »
    I also read that although this is classed as a leave in conditioner, apparently there is no conditioner in it (google again).

The ingredients are:
    Aqua (purified water), Cetyl alcohol, Tocopherol (vitamin e), Pathenol (pro-vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Natural fragrances, Citrus grandis *helianthus annus (sunflower) seed oil, *Glycine soja (soyabean) seed extract, *Betula aiba extract, *Malva sylvestris (marlow) extract, *Archillea millefolium extract, *Chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, *Equisetum arvense extract, *Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) leaf extract, ....a few more extracts (my eyes can't take anymore :lol:

Hi, well based on those ingredients if you breakdown the list there's actually not that much conditioning ingredients in it :
    -water
    -cetyl alcohol (that's a fatty alcohol, it is mostly used as an emulsifier, that mean it ties up together all the oily and watery substances together to give a nice creamy consistency, it also has emollient, moisturizing and softening properties therefore conditioning properties but it's usually used with others conditioning ingredients, here it seams to be the only one)
    -tocopherol and panthenol (they are vitamins, they help making the hair stronger but can't be considered as conditioning elements, tocopherol can help oily elements to not to go rancid )
    -citric acid (used to regulate the ph or acidity of the product)
    -phenoxyethanol (that's a preservative, it prevent microorganisms to grow and spoil the product, the bad side of it it's that it may have neurotoxic, carcinogenic (cause cancer) effects and cause reproductive trouble but all that is not proven yet but you may still want to avoid it particularly for baby, kids and pregnant women. What's proven it's that it can cause allergies)
    -the rest are sunflower seed oil, fragrances and plant extracts. While plant extracts can have all sorts of nice properties for the hair we don't really know in how much quantities they are in and in which form however because they are at the very end of the list (ingredients in INCI lists are classified by quantities) and I know that the maximal amount recommended for phenoxyethanol who is higher on the list is less than 1%... well that may mean that the plant extract effects may be quite minimal...

Bottom line : putting the worries about the phenoxyethanol aside, if the product works for you that's all good but judging by the ingredients list only, it doesn't seem to have the most effective composition ever...
    3b long hair - low density - fine hair - medium porosity

Minimalist and 100% homemade routine :
    Shampoo : Homemade solid shampoo
    Detangler and leave-in : Homemade marshmallow root gel
  • SopottSopott Posts: 42Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got a bottle, but I find its nor conditioning enough. On the plus side there's no build up, so I'm using up the bottle applying it several times a day
    2C/3A
    shampoo: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    conditioner: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals
    leave-in: Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    sealing oil: olive, coconut, avocado
    gel: Deva

alternating weeks
    protein: Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
    moisture: Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
  • Miss_CMiss_C Posts: 22Registered Users
    Thank you all.
    Thaa - that was very thorough and informative!

My dad told me to order them again. Just to see if i got another 3 bottles. It would be a win either way.
    They only sent me one bottle today. Buy two get two free
  • maniamania Posts: 56Registered Users
    Well dear how I could get this nice ingredient??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file