Can you pre-poo and Co wash at the same time

Can you do a pre poo and co wash...or pre pooing only for clarifying shampoo?

I only say this because I shed a lot when I wash my hair...and I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce the shedding. So I'm going to try the "Co-wash" method but I've been pre-pooing every time I wash my hair (once a week) and it has worked for me (a little). I just don't know if its going to create buildup on my scalp. I've been watching videos and reading post from this site no one has touched based on this. Thank you for your advice.

Comments

• Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 398Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This really just all depends on your hair. It might work, it might not. But as a general rule I would suggest that if you're going to try cowashing only and pre poo to use a light oil like grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, avocado oil, etc. I think Olive Oil and Coconut oil might be a little heavy (especially if your hair is fine/thin).You can surely try those oils though. You'll never know for sure until you try.

I know that I can remove a good amount of light oil from my hair through cowashing. However, I do not know if it washes all of the oil away since I've always incorporated shampoo in my regime.
    4a/3c, Low Porosity, Fine Texture
  • maniamania Posts: 56Registered Users
    Yeah I totally agree with you that you it's totally depends upon your hairs condition ..
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Yep, it depends. I pre poo every cleanse overnight with wen tea tree eucalyptus oil with no problems.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I feel conditioner moves oil better in the sense that conditioner works as an emulsifier between the oil and water which normally wouldn't mix and go through your hair. I find shampooing was something I'd follow up with conditioner anyway if that's the route I chose post pre-poo. I agree that you should experiment and find what works best for you. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • Beata.PindulBeata.Pindul Posts: 3Registered Users
    I think it's possible all the way since I do it all the time. It only depends on the amount of oil I've put in the hair but then I co-wash twice and my hair is very clean AND I have an oily scalp.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just tried pre pooing for about 1 hour with coconut oil and then cowashing (kind of) with a little baking soda added into my co wash (I am low porosity and I do I like the baking soda for opening up of the cuticles and Iit comes clean and soft), rinsed, DC with devacurl OC for about 1 hour, rinsed, then added Kinky Curly leave in followed by Jessicurl Spiralicious and air dried.

Best smoothest frizz free curls ever!! I have fine dense low po hair though... this might not work for everyone.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • mrzrapp2015mrzrapp2015 Posts: 122Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How often and how much baking soda do you add i am low po and tried and loved my results but i dont know if im putting too much bs
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I put about a tsp into a good handful of conditioner. I only do this about every two to three weeks. Be careful though! Too often could lead to your hair getting damaged as it does force open your cuticles. I once did it two weeks in a row and ended up with some pretty limp hair.

Some people follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse. I haven't tried it yet but I do plan to try it to see what the difference is.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I pre poo and co wash. I have no trouble with it. I do an ACV rinse every once in a while. The ACV makes my hair super soft. I leave it in sometimes. I find it kind of resets my hair. 
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 18

I only say this because I shed a lot when I wash my hair...and I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce the shedding. So I'm going to try the "Co-wash" method but I've been pre-pooing every time I wash my hair (once a week) and it has worked for me (a little). I just don't know if its going to create buildup on my scalp. I've been watching videos and reading post from this site no one has touched based on this. Thank you for your advice.
    Since it is working for you so far, I think you should stick with it. Just pay close attention for signs of buildup to not let it get out of hand if it is. It would probably make my hair too oil, but then I don't co-wash for that reason.

However, if you are trying to reduce shedding, check out this article on the Sciency Hair Blog: Scientifically tested, over-the-counter treatments for thinning hair

Under bullet (2) she recommends using caffeine spray to reduce shedding. I have been using a tea spray for a little over a month, and this reduced my shedding to less than half what it used to be. I tried a black tea spray and green tea. I brewed them with 1 black tea bag/quart distilled water and 1 green tea bag/pint distilled water for approximately the same concentration she recommends in the article, and have had good results with each, but I feel like the black tea felt a little more astringent...the green tea felt a little more gentle. I just spray my scalp in the morning, brush my teeth (to give it the two minutes) then shower as usual. Another member here at Curltalk used just the caffeine spray as mentioned in the article, and also got good results.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    bomega said:

Since it is working for you so far, I think you should stick with it. Just pay close attention for signs of buildup to not let it get out of hand if it is. It would probably make my hair too oil, but then I don't co-wash for that reason.

However, if you are trying to reduce shedding, check out this article on the Sciency Hair Blog: Scientifically tested, over-the-counter treatments for thinning hair

Under bullet (2) she recommends using caffeine spray to reduce shedding. I have been using a tea spray for a little over a month, and this reduced my shedding to less than half what it used to be. I tried a black tea spray and green tea. I brewed them with 1 black tea bag/quart distilled water and 1 green tea bag/pint distilled water for approximately the same concentration she recommends in the article, and have had good results with each, but I feel like the black tea felt a little more astringent...the green tea felt a little more gentle. I just spray my scalp in the morning, brush my teeth (to give it the two minutes) then shower as usual. Another member here at Curltalk used just the caffeine spray as mentioned in the article, and also got good results.
    @bomega, I've tried tea rinses a few times but not spraying it in and then rinsing it out.  This seems much more doable. Thanks for posting the article. :)
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,510Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I pre-poo with coconut oil and co-wash with regular conditioner (not cleansing conditioner) and have never had build up.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    bomega said:

@bomega, so you rinse the tea out a few minutes after you spray it in? I've tried tea rinses a few times but not spraying it in and then rinsing it out.  This sounds more doable.

Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

edited January 19
    bomega said:

double post 

Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 20
    Well, I low-poo/condition my hair everyday, so technically I wash it out, but yeah. I spray only my scalp area. I think Curly Nikki uses a spray bottle for her tea rinses, but I'm under the impression she sprays all her hair for her rinses?

As a side note, the next step for this is to work it into a prepoo to help detangle in the shower, rather than combing my hair before showering. So, I'll start with a marshmallow root infusion, brew my tea with that but I'm still thinking about what other herbs to add.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    @bomega, thanks. 😊
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Leave a Comment