Skipping the deep conditioning

jmendoza29jmendoza29 Registered Users Posts: 21
Hey everyone! My hair is type 3b/3c and I deep condition once a week. Last time I deep conditioned I noticed my hair was not as lively as it usually was so I put protein, raw egg blended with avocado, in it and it helped. My weekly deep condition is coming up but my hair still feels too soft and I'm considering skipping the deep condition this week and doing the protein treatment instead.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
    I usually wait until the deep conditioning effects wear off before I do it again because I don't want to go overboard. So *I* personally wouldn't do any type of treatment until I felt my hair needed it again. I wouldn't want to potentially mess up the results I already have.

My hair is still soft from my last DC as well and I probably won't do one this weekend. I will probably need to do it sometime mid-next week though and so I will do it then.

However, you can do a protein treatment if you want to. The only way to build a good regimen is to experiment. That's how you find out what you can and cannot do to your hair. If you decide to do it and it doesn't work out, then you'll know not to do it again.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

Sorry, double post.

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm in Curlista's camp. You really have to experiment. It sucks to have your hair turn out crummy after you've experimented, but that's really the only way to learn what your hair wants and doesn't want. And sometimes you get really amazing results, which makes up for the crummy outcomes! So I say to go ahead and try the PT and see what happens.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • jmendoza29jmendoza29 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Yeah my hair is feeling kind of limp so I think I may. I'll just have to look up protein treatments I can make. I want to transition into natural products. Thank you for your response.
    Curlista93 wrote: »
    I usually wait until the deep conditioning effects wear off before I do it again because I don't want to go overboard. So *I* personally wouldn't do any type of treatment until I felt my hair needed it again. I wouldn't want to potentially mess up the results I already have.

Unfortunately my hair is feeling kind of limp and my curls are gone. I'm going to try to wet it tomorrow morning and not apply any moisturizer to it. If it still comes out too limp I may have to experiment with a protein treatment.
    Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

Update: I didn't feel like doing anything to my hair this weekend even though I was outdoors most of the weekend. On Sunday morning I clarified and then I conditioned. I put in some leave in conditioner which ended up weighing down my curls. This morning I wet it a bit and now it feels nice and soft. My curls should stay defined for another two days from what I can tell and I probably won't deep condition until Saturday or Sunday, depending on how my hair holds up the rest of this week.
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    The protein treatments are only lasting if you use hydrolyzed proteins. The molecules from the egg/avocado are too large to penetrate your hair shaft. Using gelatin works or also a pre made store bought protein treatment would work as well. When your hair has enough protein it may be less vulnerable to becoming limp.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file