Transitioning Advice

adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
this is not for me but for someone else. She said she wants to go natural and wants me to help her. She says she is not doing the big chop.

The issue for me is I don't want to say I can't help her but I don't know I would be all that useful for technical and emotional support. I have styled my and others natural hair but I have not dealt much with transitioning hair either mine or other people's. There are other issues there. I personally did not and would not in a million years do a long transition. Not judging anyone's choice but it's not my thing so I know as soon as she starts complaining about a rough patch I'm going say just cut it off. Even if I don't say it my face will show it. I know that is not going to be what she wants to hear but that's my honest advice.

I guess I don't get hanging on to it stringy scraggly if it looks a HAM and is breaking like crazy. I have cut off chemical and heat damage before for this and any split end I find is a goner. Maybe if I could grasp better why this is such a big deal to some people to cut it off I could be more understanding and empathize more. My thought is It grows back. But I need help to get to be kinder gentler in my approach.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
    It really just comes down to people not feeling comfortable with short hair, especially if you've had long hair (or weave) all your life. Often women with short hair feel less feminine and even if they don't people make it known that they "look" less feminine. People might say they look like little boys or might make jokes about them being a stud. It can be very distressing.

I transitioned but I did not fool with the two textures. I kept my stuff braided up but they caused breakage because I was doing it back to back. I relaxed my hair twice before finally going through with the transition to natural and I owe that to the protective styles I wore. I don't think I could deal with the two textures myself. You could direct her to some Youtube vidoes/info on the internet, that's where most of us get our support/help from anyway, I think.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Yes. I will direct her to Youtube and call it a day. I don't think I can show someone how to do something I didn't do. Any rec's for transitioning vloggers are welcome.

I have heard about comments about short hair but my mom and quite a few women in my family who keep their natural hair cut short. They've never mentioned any issues to me or maybe they just don't care. I actually plan to eventually cut mine short so I can just wash and go.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Update: She got a retouch.
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
    :(
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• emonirochelleemonirochelle Registered Users Posts: 2
    I transitioned for a few months before I did the big chop simply because I wanted to have a few inches of hair. I know the big chop is not for everyone, but transitioning can be difficult if it's not done properly.
    The best advice I would give to someone transitioning would be to stay away from heat and use protective styles that allow your hair to grow out without too much manipulation. I would also recommend washing regularly, deep conditioning and keeping your hair moisturized. This is the time where she will likely need to search for different products more geared toward textured hair.

I wrote a blog post on my experience with transitioning/the big chop here: Should I Big Chop or Transition? - emonirochelle.com

I documented my experience with pictures and all! Hope this helps!
  • Natural Hair BossNatural Hair Boss Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Transitioning is a choice that is more about the comfort with doing a big chop than anything. It allows you to convert back to your hair's natural state, but keep your permed hair too. You are basically growing the natural hair out while maintaining the length from your permed hair not being cut. Once your natural hair has reached a comfortable length, you chop off the permed hair, but in the between time, you usually straighten the natural hair to match the texture of the permed hair. The thing to be cautious of in doing this is heat damage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file