Baking Soda, Lemon aid, ACV- which do you like best?

MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Just wondering what everyone prefers for clarifying and getting
rid of build up.
I'm still trying to decide :?
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Comments

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    I prefer the Lemon-Aid but the baking soda rinse may be more helpful to some people, apparently those with harder water get better results with it. It's important to keep in mind though that the first one is acid, which helps close the cuticle tight and results in shinier hair, and the other one is very alkaline, which will open the cuticle, so while it may be more cleansing it most be followed by a detangling CO to help reclose the cuticle.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    THanks HalfWavyHalfCurly! That makes sense. I do find that although the baking soda leaves my hair feeling cleaner, it does feel rougher afterwards.
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

• KaterinaKaterina Posts: 117Registered Users
    Magoo wrote:
    THanks HalfWavyHalfCurly! That makes sense. I do find that although the baking soda leaves my hair feeling cleaner, it does feel rougher afterwards.

Magoo, I have the same problem as you. I really like the baking soda rinse, but it makes my hair really feel rough after I do one. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not rinsing thoroughly enough afterwards.

On baking soda days, I'm likely to not only put a heavier conditioner in my hair afterwards, but also to use a leave-in as well.
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
    So you don't feel the need to pile on extra CO, the effect of the b.s. rinse can be offset by acidifying your CO with just a few drops of lemon or lime juice or a tiny sprinkling of citric acid. In case it interests anyone, I ordered a small bottle of "Now" brand for $1.22 at www.vitaglo.com (along with my vitamins), it's a natural spoilage retardant too so it can be added to fruit salad or cut up apples to keep them from turning brown.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I prefer the Lemon-Aid but the baking soda rinse may be more helpful to some people, apparently those with harder water get better results with it. It's important to keep in mind though that the first one is acid, which helps close the cuticle tight and results in shinier hair, and the other one is very alkaline, which will open the cuticle, so while it may be more cleansing it most be followed by a detangling CO to help reclose the cuticle.

If a BS rinse opens up the cuticle, would it fade hair color quicker?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,684Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've never tried baking soda or lemon juice so I don't know how they compare. I've been doing vinegar rinses for over 30 years and still love them. Just did one today!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Brio wrote:
    If a BS rinse opens up the cuticle, would it fade hair color quicker?

By my own experience I know for sure that one single rinse had no noticeable effect on my hair when I tried using it for that purpose once when my hair color turned out a bit darker. I'd also used it before to clarify and didn't notice any color coming out (which I can notice when using one of my COs).

• meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I love ACV. It's good for my scalp as well.
    I used Lemon Aid regularly when I had a pool and swam a lot but for the water here ACV seems to work nicely.
    I've been thinking about doing the LA thing again soon though. Haven't done it in a while and I really like the smell. :)
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Ladies!
    Well, I've been trying the ACV for the past couple of weeks and I seem to be liking it the best. It leaves my hair the softest and light and fluffy but not in a frizzy kind of way. I tend to get protein buildup easily and I find that when my hair is feeling "hard" from the protein the ACV tends to bring it back to normal :) .
    My one question is, I've been kind of using it as a final rinse once or twice a week and then rinsing very well with water. Is this the right way to use it? Or should I use it more as a way to "wash" my hair prior to a DT?

Experimenting with BRHG

• st. louis bluest. louis blue Posts: 404Registered Users
    I do it the way you've been doing it, co-wash, then acv rinse, then rinse through with water. Then I condition. I do my ACV rinses with distilled water, because what I'm trying to remove are the deposits from my hard water.

I like the lemon-aid thingy (where you put lemon juice in with your co-wash) a little better because it leaves my hair so shiny, but it seems sort of pointless if I'm doing it in hard water.
    Magoo wrote:
    Hi Ladies!
    Well, I've been trying the ACV for the past couple of weeks and I seem to be liking it the best. It leaves my hair the softest and light and fluffy but not in a frizzy kind of way. I tend to get protein buildup easily and I find that when my hair is feeling "hard" from the protein the ACV tends to bring it back to normal :) .
    My one question is, I've been kind of using it as a final rinse once or twice a week and then rinsing very well with water. Is this the right way to use it? Or should I use it more as a way to "wash" my hair prior to a DT?

What you're doing is fine. Before a DT the "baso" would be better since it leaves the cuticle open and ready to absorb more of the DT (which makes the use of heat unnecessary).

• heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    just wanted to add that this is great info, glad I read this post.
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Posts: 123Registered Users
    My two choices are mixing up some Lemon juice and water or making the baking soda mist. I've tried the ACV even in really small amounts mixed with water but I find it a lil too drying.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I LOVE doing ACV rinses. I can't believe the difference it makes in my hair. It's so light and fluffy (but, right, not at ALL frizzy) and it makes it so SOFT.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file