Does my hair need Protein?

ilovecurls101ilovecurls101 Registered Users Posts: 1
I have been natural for only one month now, but I haven't noticed much change in my hair. I have 3b/3c hair, that has high density and low porosity. Lately, I have heard that curly girls should not be doing protein treatments on low porosity hair, but I feel that my hair needs to. My hair can not hold a hairstyle, and stays strectched out completely straight, especially when I put my hair in a bun. When my hair dries, my curls aren't defined and there is a lot of frizz. Even if my hair is wet, I still don't get any curl definition. I use a lot of products, but I'm still not satisfied with my curl definition. Another question, when my hair is wet, it's not weighed down by the water, therefore it stays the same (thickness wise, meaning it doesn't weight down and look more down when wet) why does this happen?

Please suggest some protein treatments! (I prefer ones you can get at drugstores like Target, Walmart, etc.)

Comments

• jmendoza29jmendoza29 Registered Users Posts: 21
    I deep condition my hair once a week and I have 3b/3c hair as well. I also noticed I have low porosity. Last week when I deep conditioned I lost a lot of hair and my hair style lasted a few hours instead of 2-3 days like it normally does. So I went home and applied a raw egg blended with some avocado in my hair. It definitely helped my hair out and it made me realize that the protein was much needed. If you feel that you need protein I would recommend doing a protein treatment. Hope this helps!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Fine textured hair typically needs protein, regardless of porosity. Medium needs less, and coarse needs very little to none. Low porosity hair will absorb better with a little heat (warm the pt /use a shower cap to retain body heat /baggie and stand under a warm shower, etc.) If doing a treatment, whole proteins such as those found in food don't penetrate and only sit on top of the hair shaft. If you want to do a homemade pt, many here like the Science-y Hair Blog's gelatin pt. You could also try a protein rich conditioner for a lighter dose of protein than a pt, and see how your hair responds.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using CurlTalk App
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if the issue with your hair not drooping down when it is wet has to do with your low porosity. I wonder if the water is not penetrating the hair very well. Do you feel like your hair is well moisturized?

A lot of the low-porosity curlies on the forum use protein if their hair is fine, so I would definitely try it if you think it would help you.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Duplicate post.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    You may also need to clarify your hair. These same symptoms can come from hair that has buildup.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file