Curly On Top, Straight Underneath!

I love my curly hair, but it has been driving me absolutely batty lately because it will not stay more than half curly! The top layer is completely 3A curly and I adore it, but then starting at the top of my ears the hair goes almost completely straight. I have tried braiding it while it is drying, which creates a slight wave, and gelling the daylight out of it, which does no good.
:angry7:
My hair is definitely not damaged, as I have been brush-free for 2 years now, only ever wide-tooth or finger comb while or just before washing it, I only wash twice a week, and I always condition. I also do not expose it to chlorine, more than a couple times a year, and have used heat on it maybe three times in these strands' lifetimes. It's not dyed either.
:cry:
Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? So far the only thing I've been able to do is have my stylist cut it shorter than the rest so it doesn't poke out.

Comments

• cristi05cristi05 Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is very similar. I often conditioner wash all of my hair, rinse out well, then divide the top from bottom & shampoo the bottom half. I am real careful to NOT put leave in conditioner on the underneath layer. I do use gel on it. This seems to help it curl to match the rest of my head. My thoughts were that it was overconditioned underneath & not getting rinsed out as well because the shower head is above me. Hope this makes sense & helps you out. I have had it cut up to an inch shorter to keep the straight pieces from hanging down.
  • SopottSopott Posts: 42Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem: 3a on top straight underneath. I know it's not the rinse out thing mentioned above, because I started washing my hair upside down. I decided to just accept it and dyed the under layer of my hair a different colour.
    2C/3A
    shampoo: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    conditioner: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals
    leave-in: Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    sealing oil: olive, coconut, avocado
    gel: Deva

alternating weeks
    protein: Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
    moisture: Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
  • SarahReySarahRey Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have had them cut shorter, which helped for a while, but my hair grows pretty fast so, with shrinkage and all, it doesn't take too long for the curls to catch up. I'll have to try only conditioning the curly parts, the way you said it it makes a lot of sense! I've been trying rinsing it all out with my head upside down, which helped a tiny bit, and would fit with your theory.
    Thanks for the tip! :)
  • SarahReySarahRey Posts: 4Registered Users
    Also, Sopott, I'll have to keep that in mind if this thing doesn't work. :) Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file