Help ! Straight hair but curly hair problems

farfetchedfarfetched Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello, can you help me? My hair is naturally straight, but it has curly hair characteristics (yes it’s strange) :

It's very dry (I wash my hair once every two weeks, I do some water only the rest of the time), and protein sensitive: coconut milk is a disaster, like yogurt, it makes my hair straw-like.
In fact it’s more like if my hair is sensible to everything :cry: : I tried almost every other oil existing, cream, aloe vera, honey, henna, and it’s always the same result, my hair become rough and strangely dry. So I just wash it with shampoo and that’s all.

On top of that I think that my hair is highly porous (it dries in 2 hours when I wet it). I specify that it’s natural, I never blow-dry it, and I use silicone and sulfate-free shampoos.
My hair doesn’t look so bad, but I’d like to find something to make it softer and less dry, and I haven’t found any answer among people who have straight hair. Everybody around me has perfect hair with eggs, oil baths and coconut, and mine just hate me when I try to take care of it :angry7:

(Sorry if they’re mistakes, I don’t speak English very well…)

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds like you may have coarse hair strands and probably need to wash your hair at least once a week with a sulfate free shampoo and use a moisturizing conditioner with emollients and little protein. I'm not sure what products are available to you but i have had success with conditioner that has the consistency of a lotion with medium thickness. I also leave some of my regular conditioner in, then put a little bit of coconut oil over that and then my gel. I would think you would need at least the conditioner and oil to keep in moisture as your hair dries.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if you have product build-up on your hair. I went through a period where everything seemed to dry my hair out, and it was because I had build-up. When you have build-up, it seems to hold on to everything--proteins, hard-water minerals, etc. Can you do a clarifying shampoo?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • farfetchedfarfetched Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you for your answers ! I mixed your advices : I washed my hair twice with a shampoo for greasy hair, with sulfates (I didn't have clarifying shampoo, I thought it could work as well...), then applied my conditioner and rinsed it, then put a little bit of the same conditioner without rinsing it, then jojoba oil. I tried to follow the LOC method, but maybe I did it wrong, please let me know.
    My hair is better, but still feels a bit dry (especially on the strands around my face, I don't understand why but my hair is brittle there). I think that the products I use aren't adapted for my hair :angry7: Can you tell me which products might work for my hair type? I heard a lot about the kinky curly knot today leave-in, would that be good?

I also made some research, and I think that I am 1C/2A, highly porous with medium/coarse hair and medium density :)
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Hmm, your hair is much coarser than mine, so I hope others will be able to suggest some products for you.

Your shampooing was fine for clarifying. Normally, a sulfate shampoo is a clarifying one, at least for the purposes of this board. :)

Generally, I think that if people want softer hair, products that contain a lot of oils are good. Have you ever tried putting a little oil on your hair when your hair is dry?

Have you tried a deep conditioning treatment? It is easy. Just put your conditioner in your hair as usual, and then take a plastic shower cap and cover your head. Keep the cap on for 5-10 minutes (others may do this longer, I don't do more than that because I have find hair), and then rinse the conditioner out as usual. This will help more of the conditioner adhere to the hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • farfetchedfarfetched Registered Users Posts: 3
    My hair doesn't like when I use only oil, even on wet hair, so I always thought that it doesn't liked oil at all. But when I used a leave-in before putting the oil it was clearly better ! :)
    I just ordered the kinky curly knot today, and the curl junkie smoothing conditioner (omg the price *_* I really hope it'll work !) they seem to be great for highly porous and coarse hair. I'll try doing a deep conditioning treatment when I receive them, thanks for the advice !
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Farfetched glad we're able to help in some way. :-) I also can't just apply oil to my hair or else it just sits on top of it. I would advise Goosefootprints on Etsy for a hair analysis. Are you sure your hair is high porosity?

I have medium coarse hair, but it's low porosity so some of what works for me may not work for you. I also have 3b /c hair so I probably need more hold than you do in my styling products. The products you mentioned may be too light for your hair but depending on the weather you may be able to use tgem as leave-in conditioners. I like Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Jessicurl Too Shea, Renpure's Coconut Cream. For lighter conditioners in warm weather I use Shea Moisture Smooth & Repair Rinse out conditioner. I leave a little of all of these in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file