My hair hates me

Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Registered Users Posts: 23
I really don't know what to do anymore with my hair as I feel like it just hates me on a regular basis. No matter what I use or do, my hair is always weighed down, undefined, frizzy, and gross feeling by the next day. I've tried everything from expensive products to drug-store brands. I don't even use a regular towel but yet my hair still appears frizzy! It really sucks when you know your hair has a natural texture but simply cannot look nice. Literally every time I style my hair it looks like I've rolled around in bed even if I just washed it. Here's what it looked like the other day:

http://i.imgur.com/Seo7Z7D.jpg

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong and are starting to feel really self conscious about myself. Right now I'm using the Devacurl products again but the curl cream is just way too heavy for my hair. Gels definitely way my hair down and dry them out so I stay away from those. Does anyone have suggestions for me as I'm at my wits end :(

Comments

• frcklsfrckls Registered Users Posts: 528 Curl Neophyte
    Could it be that the water is hard in your area? I have the same problem and trying to style my hair after washing where I live (water is very hard) is a pain in the a**. I explained why in a thread I just posted.

Water-filter is the way to go if you have your own home and you can afford it. Shower-head filter is the next best thing (though not as reliable as water filter). Getting a few gallons of distilled water, if not too much trouble, would help a lot as well. As for myself, I'm going to try the Brita route. I'll see if it works.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
    Could it be that the water is hard in your area? I have the same problem and trying to style my hair after washing where I live (water is very hard) is a pain in the a**. I explained why in a thread I just posted.

Water-filter is the way to go if you have your own home and you can afford it. Shower-head filter is the next best thing (though not as reliable as water filter). Getting a few gallons of distilled water, if not too much trouble, would help a lot as well. As for myself, I'm going to try the Brita route. I'll see if it works.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
  • Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Registered Users Posts: 23
    So I checked with my husband and he said our water is actually soft so I don't believe that's the problem. I also checked one of those maps online that tell you if your state has hard or soft water. For our state it said it's "slightly hard" so it's definitely not too bad. Our level is around a 36.00 which is pretty low.
    It could be that your hair needs protein boost. For me, your water would be perfect. :)
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• Parisfrance137Parisfrance137 Registered Users Posts: 23
    Okay! Not sure how my hair will react but are there any in particular you suggest?
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried clarifying?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Okay! Not sure how my hair will react but are there any in particular you suggest?

I remember when I still used to visit the forum a lot, there were a lot of people liking ION protein treatment (not sure if that's the name) from Sally's. You can also DIY with gelatin powder. There's a blog owned by the lady behind Goosefootprints that has a lot of recipes and info for wavies/curlies, but I can't remember the name for the life of me.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• chickittenchickitten Registered Users Posts: 90 Curl Neophyte
    frckls wrote: »

I remember when I still used to visit the forum a lot, there were a lot of people liking ION protein treatment (not sure if that's the name) from Sally's. You can also DIY with gelatin powder. There's a blog owned by the lady behind Goosefootprints that has a lot of recipes and info for wavies/curlies, but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

OP, don't be scared of protein rich products, all hair types need some from time to time <3. Some more often than others, just gotta experiment with what makes your hair happy. Btw, ION Effective Care Conditioner was reformulated recently :/, so I don't know if it's as great as it used to be. Colorful Neural Protein Filler (only at Sally Beauty) is a popular option, you can add it to conditioner. You can look at product reviews here or on other sites to help you pick a product that you think you'll like. Here's the blog's link that frckls mentioned, love reading here, I've learned so much: Science-y Hair Blog
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
        [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
        [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
        [*]Cream: SM CES
        [*]LI: As I Am LI
        [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file