Moisturizing Stylers?

JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I've switched products and I am in love with the new Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex shamp+condish (which you might have seen in my other posts where I've gushed about it :laughing9:), but my styler...has some issues.

I love Camille Rose Naturals. The scents and results are lovely, but the Curl Maker has a bit of a hangup: it dries my curls out. When I apply it, whether to wet, damp or dry hair, it always leaves that stripped feeling. I have mixed feelings because although it does that, it ALSO makes my curls pop! I was considering being a self-declared chemist and mixing it with something else, but that just means when I run out I have to buy both the Curl Maker and the other product I mix it with, and my inner minimalist is just not happy with that.

I've also tried the mixed chicks leave-in as my styler, and no dice. Too crunchy, not enough moisture. The SM curl enhancing smoothie was too heavy, no matter the amount. The Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in was an AMAZING detangler, but that was about it; it too dried out my curls, and also failed to define them.

Does anyone know of any other stylers that are good with defining curls AND moisturizing them? Detangling is a plus, but not a necessity.

Help? :dontknow:
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curl junkie aloe fix gel great in mid and high dews!! it's my summer HG.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Speaking of gushing, you may have seen my previous posts where I've gushed about Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic...love that stuff! The aloe and marshmallow root do a great job of keeping moisture in, and I'm sure the vitamin E helps as well. As long as you apply it to very wet hair, you shouldn't have an issue detangling. If your hair isn't wet enough, it can be a bit sticky to apply, but just add more water and you should be fine.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlync wrote: »
    Speaking of gushing, you may have seen my previous posts where I've gushed about Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic...love that stuff! The aloe and marshmallow root do a great job of keeping moisture in, and I'm sure the vitamin E helps as well. As long as you apply it to very wet hair, you shouldn't have an issue detangling. If your hair isn't wet enough, it can be a bit sticky to apply, but just add more water and you should be fine.

I'll second this!
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll definitely look into those, then! The good thing is, now that I'm not spending my paycheck on my old Deva stash, I can actually afford to try new things :laughing9: .

Update:

And now after looking them both up I'm at a loss. BOTH have awesome reviews, and the prices are very similar. I like that many reviews for the Curl Junkie one say that it can be used alone as a styler, leave-in and so on (which is *exactly* what I'm looking for!), but I also really like that many of the reviews for Curly Magic emphasize moisture, which is my goal.

I'm going to keep looking before choosing, but ultimately it's going to come down to what I can find at either my local Target, Sally's, Ulta or WalMart!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file