You spent what??? (sort of spinoff)

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
What do you spend a lot of money on? Why? What do you buy cheap? This thread is suggested by the new dryer from Dyson that costs $400.

Spend: I spend a fortune on warm coats and warm accessories because I totally freeze in winter.

Cheap: I use vaseline and aquaphor as moisturizers. I just don't believe all the hype about expensive moisturizers being any better.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    My coworker just freaked out because my OJ was 4.50 but it's fresh squeezed and 16 oz, way cheaper here than many other places.

I spend good money on jeans, not outrageously expensive but I guess some people don't spend more than $40 on jeans. I buy good makeup, I've tried the cheaper stuff and it's just not as good. I bought a good northface down jacket that was on sale for $200 but I would've spent up to $350. Totally worth it. Not sure if that's considered too much or not either lol. The jackets I really wanted were canada goose which are $700 up, I'm not there yet.

I go cheap on paper towels. Cant think of anything else. I have dry scaly skin, just as picky as my hair so I have to buy good moisturizers although lately coconut oil has been good enough.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm having trouble thinking of stuff I get for cheap. :oops: Gosh, this is deeply concerning.

However, I will say, bc I spend so much at the supermarket, I do get a big break on my gas (fuel perks).:glasses11:
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    Spend: Tech. I love tech, however I will qualify that by saying I will not only shop around, but have been known to wait a few months for sales. And, hair products (hides head in shame...I'm a closet junkie). Oh, and also food for my Critters...they sometimes eat better than me!

Cheap: I have no problem with store brands on groceries and other necessities. On clothing, I do appreciate and actively seek quality, but am not willing to pay those prices. Love Goodwill and second hand stores...you wouldn't believe how many new items you can find (thank you shopaholics!).
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm having trouble thinking of stuff I get for cheap. :oops: Gosh, this is deeply concerning.

I'm the total opposite, I can't think of anything I spend lots of money on lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Spider, I'm not sure if you meant to be funny but you made me laugh. Thanks for that!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Spider, I'm not sure if you meant to be funny but you made me laugh. Thanks for that!

Being totally honest. LOL

OK, I will say that I bundle my cable/internet and landline phone services thru WOW and get it all for $100/month. (It was $70 until recently.)

I spend a lot on my hair w/ frequent trims, highlighting and expensive products (which I have to use in great quantity bc my hair is long) but I usually schedule my services at Saturday's which is a lot less expensive than normal salons. Every once in a while I will sneak in a service at a normal (pricey) salon, tho, so I don't lose sight of what quality services look like.

I do my own nail acrylics most of the time, too. But occasionally go into the nail shop for a new set. (Just started to experiment with at-home gel nails.) I do it less to save money, tho and more just bc I think I do a better job. I do most of my pedicures at home in the colder months and leave the salon or nail shop pedicures for flip flip season (which for me is April - Sept).

And as I alluded to upthread, I really do work the heck out of my supermarket's fuel perks program. I buy gift cards for everything I possibly can. Around the time of our family Disney trip, I had free gas for about three months. This is huge to me bc I drive a gas-guzzling SUV.
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    I buy expensive sunglasses. A new pair every few years. Anywhere from $200-$700. I love sunglasses, I take care of them. I have a sweet pair of Jean-Paul Gautier glasses that are total 50's movie star glasses. I don't wear them often, but when I do, I rock the s... out of them.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Scottsdale, AZRegistered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    Spend: My long hair extensions. I get the curly ones so I can wear my hair straight or curly.
    I only buy Organic, Non GMO food, grass fed beef, etc. This means I usually shop at Sprouts or Whole Foods.

Cheap: Like CP I've learned that most of the expensive moisturizers don't work any better than vaseline or coconut oil. I exfoliate my skin with baking soda. I get my Retin-A from alldaychemist.com for around $5 per tube. Also my Latisse from the same place for about $10 per bottle. There is a $25 set shipping fee on all orders, so my friends have me order stuff for them also, so they chip in for the shipping.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    My recent vet bill cost me a buttload! Some ppl I told said they would have just left their pets there or had them put down. Thought it was foolish to spend so much on animals, esp that caused their own problem.

Also PerrP has gotten me addicted to Buff Headwear. And that stuff ain't cheap :shock:. Esp when you can get a bandana at a local BSS or Walmart for $1. I need to cut back now.
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    Sierratradingpost.com has buff cheaper. .. and REI

But you have to take what they have as far as choices.

:)

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    The things that immediately come to mind...

Cheap: Gas (for my car), clothes, and hair things

Expensive: Sea salt caramels.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    TRBL wrote: »
    I buy expensive sunglasses. A new pair every few years. Anywhere from $200-$700. I love sunglasses, I take care of them. I have a sweet pair of Jean-Paul Gautier glasses that are total 50's movie star glasses. I don't wear them often, but when I do, I rock the s... out of them.

Decided to wear them today

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Decided to wear them today

Those are totally badass! I wish you had posted more pics. Love them!
    my selfie game is weak (I feel so weird doing it).. but I'll try to take more at lunch

my selfie game is weak (I feel so weird doing it).. but I'll try to take more at lunch

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    TRBL, you look freaking gorgeous!!!!!

What do I spend on? Shoes. Shoes and purses. I basically buy too many of both. I buy most of my clothes from Target, however, because whenever I've really splurged in the past, I find that my affection for this or that fancy sweater or skirt dwindles. I'm fickle. Zappos still loves me and sends me coupons, though ---- that's how much I spent there. :|

Oh, and dog treats, of course. Because what would life be without happy dogs?
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Even if I buy higher priced things (Harley clothes and boots, leather purses, good jewelry, Converse, high priced makeup, etc) I buy most of them used on Ebay.
    I spend more on my Jeeps because I have to have certain things on them like bigger tires and such, but they hold their value so I can usually sell them in a couple years for what I paid.
    I never buy my phones and don't want a smart phone so I just get a free one every 5-6+ years. I have the cheapest plan ($45 a month) that has unlimited text and more talk and data than I would ever use since I never go on the internet with it.
    I possibly spend more on food because I don't buy much packaged food, buy some organic and some from local farms, etc but it's really not as much more as people make it out to be.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    TRBL, you look freaking gorgeous!!!!!

Yes, she does!:thumright::occasion9:
    Thank you both.. I think this might be the first time I've posted my face on the interwebs....

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    TRBL, that lip colour is PERFECTION on you!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file