What conditioner to use for co-wash? ????

SopottSopott Registered Users Posts: 42 Curl Neophyte
Hi all, I'm new to curly hair, so I have lots of questions. I just bought and read the curly girl book, and I really want to try it. My hair/ scalp is currently recovering from long term low dose chemotherapy, so I have a special shampoo I use once week. It's not cg but I don't want to give it up until
I finish the bottle.

In between can I use any cg conditioner to co-wash? I am currently using cantu hydrating cream conditioner. Is there any reason why I can't use that? I live in the uk, so getting hold of cg products is not easy .
2C/3A
shampoo: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
conditioner: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals
leave-in: Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
sealing oil: olive, coconut, avocado
gel: Deva

alternating weeks
protein: Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
moisture: Cantu Deep Treatment Masque

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Sopott wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new to curly hair, so I have lots of questions. I just bought and read the curly girl book, and I really want to try it. My hair/ scalp is currently recovering from long term low dose chemotherapy, so I have a special shampoo I use once week. It's not cg but I don't want to give it up until
    I finish the bottle.

In between can I use any cg conditioner to co-wash? I am currently using cantu hydrating cream conditioner. Is there any reason why I can't use that? I live in the uk, so getting hold of cg products is not easy .

Technically yes, you can use any conditioner to co-wash (conditioner wash). If you like the Cantu, feel like your hair is clean after use, and that it doesn't create buildup, then by all means continue co-washing with it. It wouldn't be my choice for a co-wash, because it has shea butter as the 3rd ingredient after water (tends to weigh down my hair and build up).

If you need a good list of CG products in the UK, try this list of High Street CG products on the British Curlies website:
    High Street CG products -
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    Hi there, I'm in the UK too and although the range of CG products is WAY smaller than in the US (I was over there recently and was in PJ heaven!), it's getting better!

I suggest Palmers olive oil cowash from superdrug, it's cheap and smells fab. Also you can buy Shea Moisture products at Boots. I really love the Fruit Fusion line for fine hair. There's a cleanser (mild but I would not use it every wash), a cream rinse conditioner, a deep conditioning mask, styling spray and mousse.

I'm terrible with products, I try everything I can find, so I have plenty of suggestions both low and high price-wise!
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• Andrea.WilsoAndrea.Wilso Registered Users Posts: 31
    I love Briogeo's Be Gentle, Be Kind cowash!! It's available in the UK from CosNatural (dot) co (dot) uk!

The brand has excellent products that are all silicone free, if you're into that (which I am!). Cowashing is the best on hair that doesn't have lots of non-water-soluble product buildup, which means that using products with silicones can make cowash significantly less effective at cleansing your hair. I don't know what products you use, but if they have anything with -cone in the ingredients, they'll leave buildup that most cowashes won't be able to permeate.

That said, an actual cowash formulating for cleansing is much more effective than just a conditioner. In fact, a speficially formulated cleansing cowash and then a deep conditioner (once a week, one every two weeks, or whatever is best for your hair!) will keep hair and scalp SUPER moisturized!

There are so many ways to come at curly hair care! Silicones are cool if you're okay with a shampoo/condition/deep condition/leave-in condition regimen, and if your hair and scalp isn't dry or damaged. If it is, consider a silicone-free regimen with a cowash/deep condition as needed regimen!

It's a bunch of trial and error, and don't get discouraged! It takes a couple of weeks for your scalp and hair to adapt to a new regimen. Once you find a way to keep your scalp clean, healthy, stimulated, and moisturized, then you get to the fun part - styling products! But fabulous curls really do start with a happy scalp. Good luck!!
    2c/3a - M - iii - mid-back length - med. porosity - protein sensitive
    Bleached and colored ~2x a year, every year

Routine every 3 days:
    No-Poo for 10 years and counting!: Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado and Quinoa Cowash
    Deep Conditioner: Brieogeo Don't Despair, Repair!
    Styling: 1st - AG Re:Coil, 2nd - Moxie Bling Pomade, 3rd - DevaCurl Ultra Hold Gel
    Air-dry only, pineapple overnight
  • curlbeautydiarycurlbeautydiary Registered Users Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    Enliven(UK brand) conditioners are great for co washing! They are easily available in India as well and so they are my go to co wash condish :thumright:
    Indian curly hair blogger@ curlsandbeautydiary.com
    2c/3a
    Cowash /Conditioner: Enliven & Revlon Flex condish
    Moisturiser: Coconut oil, SheaMoisture Reconstructive Elixir
    Styling: FSG, Devacurl Ultra defining gel
    Protein: Gelatin
  • LoveLongCurlsLoveLongCurls Registered Users Posts: 53 Curl Neophyte
    I love the as I am coconut cowash. I think they sell it in the uk but I'm not 100% certain nor do I know if its cg friendly. Like another poster mentioned if what you're using now is working I wouldnt bother changing it. :)

3B hair, waist length curls (nearly hip straight), thick, high density, high porosity
    3B, Thick, High Porosity, High Density
    Length: Waist Length curly
    Goal: Hip length curly/Classic length straight
    Beginning of hair journey: Sept. 27th, 2012 :)

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
    Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
  • Tyberius777Tyberius777 Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    I use As I Am. Keeps my hair really soft! :)
  • maryware77maryware77 Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
    Sopott wrote: »
    I finish the bottle.

Hi Sopott!

Keeping in view your case! I would suggest you to go for GKhair Moisturizing Conditioner with Color Protection as it is free from SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) and Sodium Chloride.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file