question about squish to condish for porous hair

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Maybe someone can answer this.

I understand that the squish to condish method uses alot of water to really squish in the water and conditioner into the hair. Evidently it really helps to get the product and water into the hair and the result is super hydrated and conditioned hair. I have yet to play around with this method but I want to.

But I thought porous hair regularly lets too much water back into the hair shaft, causing the dreaded hair shaft swelling. So, how do we know whether or not we are squishing too much water in with the squish method?
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Porous hair is porous. Water evaporates. I don't worry about the hygral fatigue thing as my problem is keeping that moisture in there. Without enough, it will rise like a balloon to the heavens to pull that moisture in. I think the idea is to get more of the conditioner with the water into the hair as opposed to it just sitting on top. I know it makes a HUGE difference for me. Again, there's the sponge analogy...get a sponge and play with it, and you'll understand exactly what's going on in your hair.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, I am going to try it out. My hair is not all that long so I will be squishing pretty close to my scalp in the back especially. I don't know if I will even be able to do it back there.

I do worry about my cuticles being pushed up and roughed up from water swelling. I'm also experimenting with oil sealing too so maybe combination of the two will do something amazing.
    CG since 11/2014
  • chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have high porosity hair too and I've had no problems with squish to condish'ing as long as my protein-moisture balance is good. My hair's protein-craving, I use Aphogee 2-Step as my protein treatment 1x month and a protein-rich conditioner as one of my rinse outs for almost each wash day (2-3x week). When I squish to condish, I don't rinse out all of my conditioner, I leave on just enough to where my hair feels silky/slimy to the touch with it in. Coconut oil pre-poos are great if you're worried about hydral fatigue because it's the preventative step. I've only ever done a coconut oil pre poo once either because I forget or don't really have the time for it.
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
    [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
    [*]Cream: SM CES
    [*]LI: As I Am LI
    [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Chickitten- funny you say that about moisture protein balance. I was JUST advised to start using a protein rinse out, and begin squish to condishing. And so I did just that today, and I have to admit, I have a little more definition, a little better curl consistency, a little less frizz, and the curls have lasted a bit longer than usual. So, I wouldn't say amazing results just yet, but a tiny improvement in all areas. So that's nothing to scoff at. I'm hoping continued efforts with this method give better and better results with time.
    And I'm WAY overdue for a haircut. Weather permitting, taking care of that TOMORROW.
    CG since 11/2014
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you had any success continuing with squish to condish?

I've been reading more about it and tried it today, although I'm not sure I did it right. I think I took too much water out, but I'm not sure how much water to add until my hair stops "dripping" as the articles I've read discuss. I did a lot of scrunching in conditioner, adding a bit of water, squishing more, etc. But I guess I was afraid of leaving in too much and my hair getting weighed down.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    double post
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • maniamania Posts: 56Registered Users
    It's a nice question ... i hope you get your answer...:compress:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm always concerned about that too, Curls80. I have never really done squish to condish because I am afraid of all of that conditioner staying in my hair. I suppose I should just do it and see what happens.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bodysquarebodysquare Posts: 6Banned Users
    Porous hair is porous. Water evaporates. I don't worry about the hygral fatigue thing as my problem is keeping that moisture in there. Without enough, What You Should Know Before Start Lifting,it will rise like a balloon to the heavens to pull that moisture in. I think the idea is to get more of the conditioner with the water into the hair as opposed to it just sitting on top. I know it makes a HUGE difference for me. Again, there's the sponge analogy...get a sponge and play with it, and you'll understand exactly what's going on in your hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file