What's happening to my hair?

seaweedeseaweede Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So before going CG 2 months ago, I would wear my hair straight 90% of the time. Now after the shift to CG, it's curly pretty much all the time. When I first started, my curls were more wavy/s-shaped than curly. Now, 2 months later, I'm noticing they're getting more corkscrewy/ringlety like when I was a kid. What's going on? Is it the moisture? The products? The remembrance of my curl pattern? I'm curious as to what's going on.

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congratulations! Your hair is very happy with whatever you're doing! There's a balance of moisture and protein that it needs and it would seem you have found the magic combination.

From what I can gather from reading endlessly on this forum, it is not unusual for curls to regain their bounce and boing after years of having their needs neglected. Curls do have a "natural" state which all of us at one time (some of us a lifetime - uh-hum!) have beaten into submission. You have happy natural hair!
  • seaweedeseaweede Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yay!! Thanks for responding and I'm so happy to hear that! So I guess I'd better not change up my routine much. And also happy to know my hair isn't really hating me for all the abuse I did to her (like you said, for a "lifetime"). Happiness all around!
  • CandySparklesCandySparkles Posts: 66Registered Users
    This is what has happened to mine too. Mine has been gray for years (dyed), but in the past few years, it began getting very coarse and wiry, so tons of frizz.

In response, I began straightening it more, blow drying it straight, using a curling iron, hot rollers, etc. So it was already dry, and then I made the dryness worse by using all that heat on it.

Then I started the CG stuff, and stopped using heat on it, and now even the very ends of my hair have little corkscrew curls. Even more so as the super damaged stuff gets gradually cut off.

Its now a mixture of s-waves and cork screws (I never had corkscrews before), and is so much softer, and the shine is back too. The only reason it got to this point is due to all the moisture, protein, CG techniques ....

In the past couple of months I had two different women ask me if this was my "natural" hair (meaning the curls) and they said it looked really great. It was nice to get compliments on the curls - made me feel like all the hard work I've been doing has paid off.
    2c/3a
    75% coarse
    25% medium
    Low elasticity when wet, normal when dry
    Porosity- Low/normal roots through mid, slightly porous at ends
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with BeinDeb - sounds like your hair is happy and responding to your kind treatment of it! You're lucky, it took my hair a good six months to curl properly again after flat ironing for only 18 months.
    3b in South Australia.
  • seaweedeseaweede Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair sounds just like mine. I know I "shouldn't" be colour ing but I just can't stand the gray! And yeah, I does feel good to get compliments on hair that for years I tried to fight and was embarrassed of. Yay us!
  • CandySparklesCandySparkles Posts: 66Registered Users
    seaweede wrote: »
    Your hair sounds just like mine. I know I "shouldn't" be colour ing but I just can't stand the gray! And yeah, I does feel good to get compliments on hair that for years I tried to fight and was embarrassed of. Yay us!

The modern hair dye they make now actually conditions the hair. Of course you don't want to repeatedly dye the same hair over and over, but if you just do the roots as they grow, its not a problem. My hair is actually softer dyed than it would be gray....

But yeah, I'm not old enough to want to be gray. Plus mine still has dark patches in it, so it would just not look good on me at all. I admire women who feel comfortable being gray- but I love my golden blonde!!!

And now that I have CG techniques, my hair doesn't look like a scarecrow anymore!
    2c/3a
    75% coarse
    25% medium
    Low elasticity when wet, normal when dry
    Porosity- Low/normal roots through mid, slightly porous at ends

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file