too soft - also perpetual frizz

piccadilly13piccadilly13 Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi, I am one month CG using As I Am Coconut Cowash, KCKT leave in, KCCC, and LA looks gel. I also have been using almond oil to seal after KCKT. My hair is 3a/b and highly porous as far as I can tell. It's pretty fine too.

Here's the routine I've been using:
Cowash, wide tooth comb conditioner through, (wash body etc) comb hair upside down, squish to condish with cold water, rub KCKT and almond oil on outside, KCCC on outside, flip hair back KCCC on top, scrunch upside down, scrunch each side, flip upside down, scrunch gel, t shirt scrunch excess water, get out of shower, plop, (dry off/get dressed), diffuse

I then sleep on a silk pillowcase.

In the morning, the curls are pretty well defined but frizzy and a little greasy feeling. Mostly the canopy is frizzy. When I step outside into the 75% humidity, they seem to wilt and the frizz gets worse. It's weird because I've done this same routine and some days my hair is fine, but other days it's a disaster. also why does my hair start drying so fast?!

Any suggestions appreciated.
2c/3a, fine, high porosity
curly since 4/2008, CG since 3/27/2016

cowash: as i am coconut cowash
li: kckt
styler: kccc, brhg

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    All I can guess is that your hair doesn't really like the almond oil. Have you tried other oils to seal? Last year I had problems with frizzy, limp hair, and oil seemed to fix the problem for a short bit, but later my hair would be frizzy again but greasy looking. Have you experimented with other oils? I seem to do well with shea butter in my products, I think because shea butter sits on top of the hair and has a "drier" consistency (it is pretty hard at room temperature).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Oh, and I see from the title that your hair feels too soft. This could be the almond oil also, or too many conditioning products. When the weather gets warmer and dew points are high, you may find that you don't need as much moisturizing product. Last summer, I had to skip my leave-in, and if I co-washed, I did not need to condition separately afterward. I would start experimenting either with lighter products or with less of what you're using.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe try a conditioner with some protein? Curl Junkie's Beauticurls is a great conditioner with some protein but not too much. It will help your hair to have some strength and not be too soft.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • piccadilly13piccadilly13 Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks Therese1 and curlypearl! I might try styling hair without the oil and seeing how it holds up.

As far as protein is concerned--I'm conflicted about whether to try protein in my hair. From what I usually read, damaged hair needs protein, and though my hair is very dry, it shouldn't be very damaged or anything because I haven't straightened it in 8 years. Could it still need protein? Does it need moisture? I just can't take the frizz! Also, I'm out in San Francisco today, and though my hair was bouncy and frizzy when I woke up, it's limp and greasy now :(

Some people's hair just likes protein, even if it is not damaged. I don't treat my hair, and I don't diffuse that often, but my hair likes protein pretty frequently. Fine hair especially is known for being a good candidate for protein. I would try some protein and see what happens. Unfortunately, with hair, it's pretty much trial and error until you find what it wants!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Therese - it's pretty much trial and error to find out what works for you. If you do try protein, don't go overboard. That's why I suggested the Beauticurls because it is a mild protein treatment combined with conditioning. It is cg, but unfortunately kind of pricey, although you get a lot. I wish I could suggest something else with a small dose of protein that's less expensive.

I'm just worried that if you do a strong protein treatment it will be bad for your hair and could make it stiff and even cause breakage, so if you decide to do protein, read up on it and make sure you follow with a very good conditioner. I'll keep reading and hope to hear that you have found a solution. Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair would seem to have the same properties as yours and I couldn't use KCCC at all, no matter how I tried it, it gave me frizz (though lots of things give me frizz) - could that be a culprit? If you want to try protein that's not too heavy you could try Aubrey's GPB, I just use it as a normal conditioner once a fortnight or so, although my hair should love protein it really doesn't like anything too heavy and I can't do a proper protein treatment but I do find this is good for me. I'd second what the others have said about the oil too, I haven't tried almond myself but did try jojoba and something else (can't remember what now) and it left me stringy and frizzy.
    3b in South Australia.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions! I'll try a few different variations of my routine this week, using no oil, and see how it works. I'll definitely look into those products you all suggested!

Starmie wrote: »
    My hair would seem to have the same properties as yours and I couldn't use KCCC at all, no matter how I tried it, it gave me frizz (though lots of things give me frizz) - could that be a culprit? If you want to try protein that's not too heavy you could try Aubrey's GPB, I just use it as a normal conditioner once a fortnight or so, although my hair should love protein it really doesn't like anything too heavy and I can't do a proper protein treatment but I do find this is good for me. I'd second what the others have said about the oil too, I haven't tried almond myself but did try jojoba and something else (can't remember what now) and it left me stringy and frizzy.

Starmie, when you say you use it as a "normal conditioner," do you mean as a rinse-out? So I would cowash with my As I Am Coconut, then use this as my rinse out? (Only once every couple of weeks?)

Sorry, yes, as my rinse out. Another thought - do you think you could be over-conditioned? I can't co wash as my hair gets too soft and fluffy, I have to lo-poo.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie wrote: »
    Sorry, yes, as my rinse out. Another thought - do you think you could be over-conditioned? I can't co wash as my hair gets too soft and fluffy, I have to lo-poo.

It could be! I have no idea. My hair is so soft and fluffy today - I left out the Almond Oil last night - but I think my hair generally needs moisture? The reason I've thought this is because how it always gets frizzy in moderate-high humidity. I figured it must not be moisturized enough because it was seeking moisture from the environment and puffing up!

My hair is really soft, but it doesn't seem "sturdy" enough to really hold its shape well, if you know what I mean. My mom always says my hair is like a feather - she said that before I went CG too, but now it's a softer feather.

Did you say you can't use KCCC? What do you use instead? I'll definitely use up what I have, but I might consider other options when I run out.

Thanks!

Oh my, you sound so like me! I always get terrible frizz when there's noticeable humidity and everything I read says more moisture is the answer but nothing works. I've learned to live with it to some extent as my hair has thinned and the frizz gives me some volume, though my recent grey hair is testing my patience!
    I also know what you mean by the feather light hair, mine has never had any weight to it and is very "floaty" with no real movement, very annoying.
    I use a curl cream (AG Details atm) and mousse (AG mousse gel atm but this is new and I don't like it, prefer an Australian one I've been using). I do use KCKT regularly, like this a lot. I can't use gels, they give me stringy frizzy curls.
    3b in South Australia.
    I did pick up some Aubrey GPB conditioner last night and used it as my rinse out. I don't really like the routine I used last night, and after air drying my hair was still a little wet when I slept on it, so it's kind of flat today, but I will experiment with the GBP conditioner every week or so. Do you think it's possible I've been cowashing too much? Usually I have always stuck to washing/cowashing every 2-3 days, but I've been having a bad hair week so I am cowashing almost every day trying to make it look better for the next day! :-/

It sucks because last week was a great hair week, and now I'm getting discouraged :-( I'm traveling a lot in the next month and I want to love my hair again!

If you are co-washing every day, I do think that could be too much, since your hair could get overmoisturized, which also causes frizz and that light, poofy look. You do not have to wash your hair even though you get it wet. If I am not ready for a wash but I want to restyle my hair, I just wet it under the shower and massage the scalp well. I add a little bit of conditioner if I feel like my hair is dry. As long as you're using products without silicones, you should be OK with just water for your "wash."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file