any tricks to hide white roots

mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have gone from 40 white hairs to seriously 400 in the last two years. Mega increase. and the majority are at my temples. Unfortunately at my temples, I have a cowlick, so all the hair is like this--in the pic. So because all the hair growth goes up and back, even though I henna once a week, those darn white roots are staring straight at ya before the week is up. Any tricks that I don't know about that actually work (without coloring your scalp as well) to cover those roots. What's the point of dyeing your hair, if you still see white in 6 days after??? Thanks
2c
Medium texture
Normal porosity
Normal elasticity
can get weighed down with lots of oils
Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
Gel: Kiss my face gel
DT:Jessicurl
Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go

Comments

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Amazing isn't it? How hair never seemed to grow fast at all....until gray roots started showing up and then all of a sudden you're chasing them and just can't catch them to save your life? I seem to get a half inch of gray every month, but somehow no overall growth! I've been dying my roots for a decade and I'm only 37.

Usually when they really bother me, I will use dark brown eyeshadow on the exposed roots to cover them. I've even colored them with a magic marker in a real pinch before.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Seriously!! I'll have to try that then!! so eyeshadow does work without coloring your scalp?? And magic marker,?? that's hilarious because I've thought of doing that many many times. And it makes me feel better to know I"m not the only one of our age with white hair. Is yours mostly in the temples too?? Did yours come on fast? For me, it started at 28 with just a couple, and it stayed that way for a couple years, then after baby #4, it just started coming on steadily and it's annoying. but I truly appreciate you sharing your tricks. but how do you get eyeshadow to stick to your roots?? Oil first or something?? ANd how often do you dye yours???
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    Yup! The eyeshadow I apply with my applicator just to the exposed part and it covers the gray pretty well. I dont go any deeper into the hair other than my visible part. I will do the temples, and I'm even having some now coming in right in the very center of my bangs. The eyeshadow does not touch the scalp, I'm able to apply it exactly where I want it to go. I don't use anything to get it to stick, it just goes on and stays til I shower and I've never had it build up or cause any issues. I have to dye every three weeks. Because my hair is such a dark color, it is glaringly obvious when the roots show. I can't stand to get more than a half inch of gray. I use a permanent color, Revlon color stay I think. Which is why I have terrible high porosity. Plus, and this is really bad, but I apply it to the entire length of my hair every time too. It's just easier that way.
    My mom went gray early too but not as early as me. Seems like it started kind of mild and then, yes, one year all of a sudden it was like the gray started coming in alot more. I've never even had any kids so I can't attribute it to that.
    CG since 11/2014
    Wow we have lots in common coarse strands but medium/low density. Have you always had these hair properties?? It's rare for me to find others like me with thick strands, but not lots of hair. and it makes me paranoid that I've lost hair. HOw soon do you usually start doing your roots with eyeshadow?? Like a week after?
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    Yes I agree. Coarse and low density is pretty rare around here I guess. And with high porosity is even rarer. Most low/medium densities I see on here are fine strands and/or lo po. I'm fighting the protein battle. Protein for damage or protein-free because I'm coarse? Ugh. Seems like I have the trifecta of least desirable hair traits. Not curly but not straight, low density, and (no wonder) high damage. And gray.

I don't think I've always had these properties. All I remember growing up was longing to have long hair and my mom always saying "your hair is way too thin and fine to ever grow." All I ever heard is how my hair is terrible and not like everyone else's. But as I got older, it coarsened up. When I got my hair analysis I was *shocked* that my hair measured coarse. I have always been high porosity because I got perms in the 80s, bottle dyed and straightened with high heat from 90s-2014. I have always always always been rough and dry and alway been a big shredder. I lose tons of hair. It just falls out at the root. Every hair I find laying around has a tiny gray area and a white ball on it. So that explains why I can't get much length retention and why Im constantly dealing with crown frizz from new growth. I've had my thyroid checked in depth twice, so I don't know. But I never look like I'm thinning, so as much as it bothers me, I'm just used to it I guess. Straightening my hair is *SO* much easier than being cg. What's your journey been like?

Anyways, so on my roots, I don't continually use they eyeshadow - only if I *really* need to do a dye but it's only Thursday and I can't dye til the weekend or something. Then for work those last two days, I'll put eyeshadow on there one time in the am each day when I'm doing makeup. I try not to let the roots get too long to where it looks terrible. Evidently I look young for my age, when people find out my age they say they can't believe it, so, I don't want my roots giving me away. When I'm older, eh maybe I won't worry about it but for now, I try to manage how much they show.
    CG since 11/2014
    cool!! thanks for sharing. I would love to see a pic of your hair. I've always had coarse hair. What I can't prove is if I've always had low/med density. I mean my ponytail has dropped after the 4th baby 1/4 of an inch, but even before I notice now it looks less big. My husband says a lot of it has to do with the fact that i grew up in WI which means super high humidity and then my mom brushed,s o he says that's why it was so big. Can humidity cause that much of a difference. . . I dunno. Now I live in NM so it's super dry and I dont brush anymore. but I hate how my braids can look so small, and I live with a daughter who has ponytail-breaking elastics hair, so much hair so I live alongside that too!! After the 3rd baby i was shedding like crazy, they say my thyroid is fine too every time they check. Now that I'm shedding normal, after 4th baby is when the ponytail dropped. . . go figure. But hopefully it's just a change of cut or something . . . we'll see. But yeah, that s cool that you can go almost 3 weeks with no eyeshadow. If I wanted to go "no bangs" i would have to use eyeshadow after 6 days of dyeing. Good hearing from ya!! Glad I found ya!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    I'm so jealous of your length! If I could get your length I wouldn't even sweat lower density :)
    I've also read the sciencey hair blog say that autumn is time for many people to experience a "normal" seasonal shedding. And ive definitely read that pregnancy and childbirth can cause shedding and can take months for the hair to normalize.
    You must have crazy fast hair growth, which I've heard people say taking prenatal vitamins causes super fast growth of skin and nails. Maybe it all has to do with your hormones and pregnancies?
    CG since 11/2014
    That and my cowlick and not having much hair at my temples causes those whites to show. Thanks. I"ll try and feel happier, but lately my volume just isn't there like I"m used to it being. But my husband convinced me to get a straight cut, no layers and I'm wondering if that could cause it. How long is your hair?
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have gone from 40 white hairs to seriously 400 in the last two years. Mega increase. and the majority are at my temples. Unfortunately at my temples, I have a cowlick, so all the hair is like this--in the pic. So because all the hair growth goes up and back, even though I henna once a week, those darn white roots are staring straight at ya before the week is up. Any tricks that I don't know about that actually work (without coloring your scalp as well) to cover those roots. What's the point of dyeing your hair, if you still see white in 6 days after??? Thanks

I use Madison Reed powder cover. It at least diminished the beacon.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Mascara should work.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    That and my cowlick and not having much hair at my temples causes those whites to show. Thanks. I"ll try and feel happier, but lately my volume just isn't there like I"m used to it being. But my husband convinced me to get a straight cut, no layers and I'm wondering if that could cause it. How long is your hair?

Maybe, a cut can make alot of difference. I think your hair looks great tho. I'm not one of those "omg my hair" people, so if I get a cut shorter than I intended, or not what I envisioned, oh well, it's not the end of the world. It will grow back, inevitably gray, a little at a time. Mines getting right to shoulder length. I cut it back in oct/nov i think, into an inverted bob with long layers, took off probably 6-8 inches. Had to get irreparably damaged hair off. It's out of its shape entirely now, however it's still slightly longer in front. Right when I was ready for a good trim, my stylist went on maternity leave! She is back now and getting me in the end of this week, thank goodness! I need a reshape really bad! I'm going to keep the layers and the inverted bob for now, but definitely on a mission to grow out and get length. If I can ever get as long as yours I may have her layer the sides shorter than the back versus the sides being longer.
    CG since 11/2014
    To TOOSDAY, well let me know if you ever post a pic of your hair. How come they left the sides longer than the back, because of the bob?? And about what % of your hair would you say is white?? Mine overall is probably 1%, but in the temples, it's like 8-9%.

And thanks to everyone for suggestions. I have never gotten mascara to work, but I might try eyeshadow and or the Madison Reed powder, never heard of that.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How exactly do you apply the eyeshadow? I'm trying to picture why it doesn't just fall off?

One trick I was shown for my part is to do a zig zag part which does seem to make the white roots less obvious. I also do a permanent dye job. I really can't go more than 2 weeks without dying it and I worry about all that exposure to chemicals but I just can't stand the white roots on my darkish hair.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    To TOOSDAY, well let me know if you ever post a pic of your hair. How come they left the sides longer than the back, because of the bob?? And about what % of your hair would you say is white?? Mine overall is probably 1%, but in the temples, it's like 8-9%.

And thanks to everyone for suggestions. I have never gotten mascara to work, but I might try eyeshadow and or the Madison Reed powder, never heard of that.

Yea, the style of the inverted bob has longer length in the front, well my "front" is also my sides. Since its cut at an angle longer towards the front, the layers I get leave me with the shortest hair in the very back.
    As for how much % is white? Man I dont know, I mean, I have been dying it so long and I do it so often, its hard to know. I will say this, its coming in gray everywhere. If I cut a part above my ears on either side, from front to back, there would be a white streak. I have a white streak all the way on top from front to back, its just growing in gray all over.
    CG since 11/2014
    curlypearl wrote: »
    How exactly do you apply the eyeshadow? I'm trying to picture why it doesn't just fall off?

One trick I was shown for my part is to do a zig zag part which does seem to make the white roots less obvious. I also do a permanent dye job. I really can't go more than 2 weeks without dying it and I worry about all that exposure to chemicals but I just can't stand the white roots on my darkish hair.

I just take the little triangle applicator, or even my long handled small applicator brush, just get alot of eyeshadow on it, and with tiny strokes apply it to the roots all the way down the part. And then on my temples a little bit, taking care to make it look natural. I dont know, it just goes on. I guess if I really tried hard enough to wipe it off, it would come off, but really, it just sticks to the hair. I could wet my brush first, but i haven't had to. Just try it, I would expect it to sit right on the hair. I guess if your root is super smooth, maybe it wouldn't transfer from the brush, but since my hair is so coarse and rough, the powder just sticks. Maybe that makes a difference. Maybe a semi-liquid or cream eyeshadow would work better than a powder on super smooth fine hairs?
    CG since 11/2014
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you so very much for the explanation! My hair is coarse also so I'll try this method. :)
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Mary Beth.CoMary Beth.Co Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Any tricks that I don't know about that actually work (without coloring your scalp as well) to cover those roots

I use Madison Reed root touch up powder. It works VERY well really sticks to the hair until you wash it off.
    Type 3a, fine, highly porous (though much better after quitting the chemical dyes) 70% gray dying with henna/indigo/black walnut professionally every 4 weeks

Modified CG:
    Shampoo - Indigo Hair and Scalp Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out - Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Deep tx - try weekly but get lazy - Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
    Gels - Jessicurl Spiralicious, MGA Sculpting Gel, Matrix Total Results Curl Super Defrizzer Gel
    I tried the Madison Reed Powder, on my husband at Sephora, and it appears to hide the roots, but analyzing closely, it doesn't really. Also, it got more of the powder of my scalp than on the white hair, which I didn't care for that look. Maybe the eyeshadow stuff will be better.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I
    Like the Madison Reed. It more blends than anything but it looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    but how do you keep it off the scalp?
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity